Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Espon scanners disappeared and reinstallation not working after Mac 0S 10.13.6 Update

Apple seems to have done something with its update for Mac OS 10.13.6 to disable my scanner software or its re-installation. I found in an online search that some Canon users have had similar issues with 10.13.6 and scanners so it looks likely to be a Mac update issue.

I have two Epson scanners:

ES-H7200

and

GT-F730

admittedly not the latest but Epson has drivers all the way up to Catalina for these models so they are not obselete.

After updating my Mac OS 10.13 to version 10.13.6 now the scanners will not work.

The drivers have disappeared. When I download the drivers software from Epson and reinstall the Scanners are not listed in my Printers and Scanners section of System Preferences.

I have restarted the computer, disconnected and restarted the scanners in various ways.

Nothing works. I have two perfectly operable scanners and I would like to use them again.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 11:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 12:39 AM

Hey there! Sorry for the troubles! So they disappeared from Printers and Scanners after the update? What happens exactly when you try re adding them from the Printers and Scanners preferences? I didn’t look up the models, but if they are usb printers, (Or even wireless I say), I’d try right clicking the blank section, (where it normally shows your scanners), and select, “Reset Printing System”, and try adding again. Also the printing manufacturer may have a utility you can use. If it’s not in your Applications, or Applications/Utilities folder.......you can open Finder, on the top hit Go > Computer > Macintosh HD (usually) then Library > Printers. In here you should see the specific drivers (and related files), such as “Epson”, usually, if you open the related folders there is some type of setup or diagnostic utility in there that can help. Most drivers come installed already with Mac OS, so, if able to, it’s also a good idea to upgrade the OS to Catalina if possible. Also, if you know the devices IP address you can try entering it manually instead of your Mac finding it if possible. It is also possible that there is a conflict with third party software, (like security/networking software), If you start up your Mac holding the Shift key, (Safe Boot), does it see your scanner then after adding it or not)?

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mac-help/mh14004/mac

Hope any of that information helps, happy to help out otherwise!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2020 12:39 AM in response to artphotextic

Hey there! Sorry for the troubles! So they disappeared from Printers and Scanners after the update? What happens exactly when you try re adding them from the Printers and Scanners preferences? I didn’t look up the models, but if they are usb printers, (Or even wireless I say), I’d try right clicking the blank section, (where it normally shows your scanners), and select, “Reset Printing System”, and try adding again. Also the printing manufacturer may have a utility you can use. If it’s not in your Applications, or Applications/Utilities folder.......you can open Finder, on the top hit Go > Computer > Macintosh HD (usually) then Library > Printers. In here you should see the specific drivers (and related files), such as “Epson”, usually, if you open the related folders there is some type of setup or diagnostic utility in there that can help. Most drivers come installed already with Mac OS, so, if able to, it’s also a good idea to upgrade the OS to Catalina if possible. Also, if you know the devices IP address you can try entering it manually instead of your Mac finding it if possible. It is also possible that there is a conflict with third party software, (like security/networking software), If you start up your Mac holding the Shift key, (Safe Boot), does it see your scanner then after adding it or not)?

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mac-help/mh14004/mac

Hope any of that information helps, happy to help out otherwise!

Espon scanners disappeared and reinstallation not working after Mac 0S 10.13.6 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.