Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

12 inch Macbook 2018 Camera Not Connected

I have a 12-inch MacBook and whenever I try to use my camera, it says that it's not connected. I've tried:

• restarting
  • shutting down and turning back on
  • sudo killall VDCAssistant
  • Restart by pressing the right Shift, and left control and option, then adding the power button and then turning back on
  • going into preferences and turning on access to all camera apps
  • going into activity and exiting out of VDC Assistant

I'm getting desperate in trying to figure out how to connect my camera again - any help in figuring out what's wrong and how to fix it is appreciated!

MacBook

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 5:02 AM

Does your camera show up in Apple > About This Mac > System Information > Camera?

If not, then macOS can't see it so none of your applications will see it either.

If you want a fast way to see if you have a hardware or software problem, backup your data to an external drive then erase/reinstall macOS.

Do not migrate your data back after the restore. Instead, create a new account to check if your camera works again. If it does, then you had a software issue. If it does not, you probably have a hardware issue that you should book an appointment with Apple to check out.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2020 5:02 AM in response to hsalaz

Does your camera show up in Apple > About This Mac > System Information > Camera?

If not, then macOS can't see it so none of your applications will see it either.

If you want a fast way to see if you have a hardware or software problem, backup your data to an external drive then erase/reinstall macOS.

Do not migrate your data back after the restore. Instead, create a new account to check if your camera works again. If it does, then you had a software issue. If it does not, you probably have a hardware issue that you should book an appointment with Apple to check out.

12 inch Macbook 2018 Camera Not Connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.