Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing calendars and contacts with Outlook 365 home

I'm trying to use the 4 steps outlined by Apple support at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201729

I use Office 365 home. Looking in Windows 10 Account Settings -> Email Accounts I see the email account I use and it shows it has Type: Microsoft Exchange. I use that email in Step 2, it works. However in Step 3 it fails. If instead in Step 1 I use Outlook.com as the account type it works. However when enabling Calendars or Contacts in Step 4 it prompts me to delete my contacts or keep them on my iPhone. This is probably because the account type is Outllook.com instead of Exchange. What is the resolution? Thanks.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 6:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 9:15 AM

Yes, that's where I started. It's the same procedure as on the Apple support site.

Sign in works, but the credentials fail. The email address I'm using existed before I had Office 365 so it was/is an Outlook.com address.

I got it working. I deleted the Outlook.com type; although I'm thinking maybe I should have left it since it was working after I used iTunes to initially sync. To use the Exchange type I needed to generate a new app password, since Apple Mail does not support 2-factor authentication.

So I sign in with my normal email address and password. Then for (Step 3) I again use my email address but for a password I used the new app password. It works.

Thanks.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2020 9:15 AM in response to anonyme4321

Yes, that's where I started. It's the same procedure as on the Apple support site.

Sign in works, but the credentials fail. The email address I'm using existed before I had Office 365 so it was/is an Outlook.com address.

I got it working. I deleted the Outlook.com type; although I'm thinking maybe I should have left it since it was working after I used iTunes to initially sync. To use the Exchange type I needed to generate a new app password, since Apple Mail does not support 2-factor authentication.

So I sign in with my normal email address and password. Then for (Step 3) I again use my email address but for a password I used the new app password. It works.

Thanks.

Jul 27, 2020 7:13 AM in response to anonyme4321

After entering my email then password for that account, it indicates my account couldn't be found. And the Domain entry changes from Optional to Required. I tried Microsoft.com and Outlook.com and my password but it the account is not found.

I backed up my phone with iTunes, then tried using the Outlook.com account type. This 'works' but I had many duplicate contacts. I then chose to delete the contacts from my iPhone which it did.

I then added a new contact and edited an existing contact in Outlook 365. It did show up on my iPhone so it seems to be syncing. Still I lost my existing contacts on the iPhone which I can probably restore through iTunes. So the question is why is the Outlook.com account type required and why doesn't the Exchange account type work?

Thanks

Dennis

Syncing calendars and contacts with Outlook 365 home

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.