Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing new mobile number from someone else's iMessage account

My daughter got a new Samsung phone recently and found she didn't get responses from her friends who had iPhones. But these friends said they got responses to their responses from someone they didn't know. I did some research and discovered that iMessage sends messages over the internet and not SMS.

We have a friend with an iPhone and when she sent a message, at first we didn't get it, but then when it was sent via SMS, we got it fine.

I sent an iMessage to the person with the old number giving some instructions but haven't gotten a response. Perhaps they're either unwilling or unable to do it themselves.

Is there any recourse for us to disconnect my daughter's new phone number from this iMessage account?

Thanks.

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 10:11 AM

iMessages are exclusive to iOS devices and they are sent over internet protocol. SMS does not require internet to communicate between devices.

To use SMS/MMS on an iPhone, you need a text-messaging plan. Contact your wireless carrier for more information. You can also set up your other Apple devices to send and receive messages from any Apple device.

If Wi-Fi is unavailable, iMessages will be sent over cellular data. Cellular data rates might apply.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2020 10:11 AM in response to jsdjmd

iMessages are exclusive to iOS devices and they are sent over internet protocol. SMS does not require internet to communicate between devices.

To use SMS/MMS on an iPhone, you need a text-messaging plan. Contact your wireless carrier for more information. You can also set up your other Apple devices to send and receive messages from any Apple device.

If Wi-Fi is unavailable, iMessages will be sent over cellular data. Cellular data rates might apply.

Removing new mobile number from someone else's iMessage account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.