Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Software to support IOS 13

Just got Iphone SE 2002 with IOS 13.

Getting Software Update message: "A software update is required to connect to "name" iphone."

"Would you like to download and install this update now?"

Three buttons below the message: "Learn More", "Not Now", "Install".

The "Learn More" button is pretty much useless because it does not explain what software needs to be downloaded and installed. Is it just Itunes? or do I have to install the latest MacOS.

I am still on an old system with old software and would like to know what is the oldest MAC OS required to read and backup my iphone with my 2010 Mac Pro.

I was using IOS 12 on my iphone 5s and had not problems with Mac OSX Sierra 10.12.6

I found this post

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8871

but it is not updated to address IOS 13.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 9:06 PM

You need to upgrade macOS for use with the new iPhone. On your computer, open Software Update to see if the upgrade is listed. Be patient as it may take a little time. Or, see How to upgrade to macOS Catalina.

Syncing Your SE 2020 with Mac or PC requires:

• macOS Catalina 10.15 using the Finder
  • macOS El Capitan 10.11.6 through macOS Mojave 10.14.6 using iTunes 12.8 or later
  • Windows 7 or later using iTunes 12.10 or later (free download from www.itunes.com/download)

Before You Upgrade macOS

1. Fix any problems before upgrading.
  2. Run First Aid in Disk Utility while booted from your Recovery HD.
  3. Backup. Make a bootable clone using CarbonCopy Cloner or use TimeMachine.
  4. Be sure your startup disk has 18-20GB of free space during the installation.
  5. Upgrade third-party software for compatibility. See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps. If you have mission critical software, then DO NOT upgrade until you know that software is compatible with the version of macOS you are about to install.
  6. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  7. Download the installer which will be in the Applications folder. Quit the installer after it opens, then make a copy of the installer and save it in the Downloads folder. The one in the Applications folder will be deleted after a successful installation.
  8. The download is large, anywhere between 5 and 9GBs. It takes time to complete. Be patient.
  9. Double-click on the installer in the Applications folder. Click on the start button to begin the installation.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2020 9:06 PM in response to Lukcresdera

You need to upgrade macOS for use with the new iPhone. On your computer, open Software Update to see if the upgrade is listed. Be patient as it may take a little time. Or, see How to upgrade to macOS Catalina.

Syncing Your SE 2020 with Mac or PC requires:

• macOS Catalina 10.15 using the Finder
  • macOS El Capitan 10.11.6 through macOS Mojave 10.14.6 using iTunes 12.8 or later
  • Windows 7 or later using iTunes 12.10 or later (free download from www.itunes.com/download)

Before You Upgrade macOS

1. Fix any problems before upgrading.
  2. Run First Aid in Disk Utility while booted from your Recovery HD.
  3. Backup. Make a bootable clone using CarbonCopy Cloner or use TimeMachine.
  4. Be sure your startup disk has 18-20GB of free space during the installation.
  5. Upgrade third-party software for compatibility. See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps. If you have mission critical software, then DO NOT upgrade until you know that software is compatible with the version of macOS you are about to install.
  6. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  7. Download the installer which will be in the Applications folder. Quit the installer after it opens, then make a copy of the installer and save it in the Downloads folder. The one in the Applications folder will be deleted after a successful installation.
  8. The download is large, anywhere between 5 and 9GBs. It takes time to complete. Be patient.
  9. Double-click on the installer in the Applications folder. Click on the start button to begin the installation.

Mac OS Software to support IOS 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.