Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone ios 14 sync compatibility to Mac desktop High Sierra 10.13.6

My wife updated her iPhone 6 plus to ios 14. She went to sync with her Macintosh desktop (version 10.13 High Sierra), and instead, she got a dialog box asking her to install something. The problem is, when she clicked on Learn More, there really was no detailed info on that page. We need to know what is going to install. We don't want to click "Install" and start downloading Catalina, because we have important software which is not 10.15 compatible. Her Mac has iTunes 12.8.2 installed

• Can someone tell me what will download and install when we click 'Install' ?

• Is ios 14 compatible with High Sierra ?

I will add, Apple has made it clear which phones and tablets are compatible with ios14, but never a mention about which version of the operating system on the Mac desktop is needed to sync to the phone after updating. Its aggravating to not have this information readily available.

Thanks much, C.

PS: my wife is not Justin - this image is from a web site showing a similar problem with ios13

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 2:37 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Sep 27, 2020 2:47 PM in response to Lazlow

Lazlow wrote:

We don't want to click "Install" and start downloading Catalina, because we have important software which is not 10.15 compatible.

This is not a good idea. Apple has notified software developers years ago that 32 but applications are going to become obsolete. They enforced that starting with MacOS Catalina last year. As time progresses, staying with 32 bit applications will force you further and further behind in all other areas.

Sep 28, 2020 9:25 AM in response to sberman

This is a sore spot for me. I have been a graphic designer on a Mac since 1998 - and have owned a good number of Macs and other Apple products in that time - and so have our kids. I think in my home right now I have 5 bootable Macs (one is a Special Edition iMac and another a G5 Power Mac tower) plus three more in my office which are used daily. When we moved to Maryland in 2012, I literally threw in the county dump a bootable G4 Power Mac tower. The retired Macs are partly due to the hardware no longer supporting the operating system. In the office right now is a Mac tower from 2005 which runs perfectly everyday but can not upgrade beyond El Capitan. The 2005 Mac is essentially a file server and has a robust back-up system, but it also runs AccountEdge Pro, my accounting software. I have been warned by AccountEdge NOT to upgrade to Catalina, as they do not, and never will support Catalina. So, I limp along. That 2005 computer also occasionally boots up to an external drive which has Leopard 10.5 and Adobe GoLive - I use that to edit a couple really old web sites for small clients (plus my web site at anvilgraphics.com). I was so ****** when Adobe purchased GoLive, only to discontinue it in favor of the less friendly Dreamweaver.

In late 2019 I had to buy a newer computer in order to run the Adobe Suite, which is my bread and butter. Don't get me wrong, I really like the newer computer and the faster processors and such - but I am dead tired of Apple (and Adobe) relentlessly forcing new equipment and software on us. It is expensive to maintain all this stuff. Frankly, since the introduction of the black paint can Power Mac, Apple has not made a computer really fit for my situation as a smaller graphic designer - not everyone wants to drop $4000 plus on a computer, only to do it again in a few years.

On my wife's computer we do have a couple applications which don't run in Catalina, and they are important to us. Hopefully those developers will provide an update in the future, but in the mean time we need to stay put.

So anyhow, I have been up and down this roller coaster for a long time, and would love to buy all new Apple products at every introduction, but that is just now feasible. By the way, I have boxes and drawers full of Apple cables and adapters going all the way back to serial connectors. I could write a whole nother note about that mess.

iPhone ios 14 sync compatibility to Mac desktop High Sierra 10.13.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.