Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reset when no power button on new Macbook pro

My 6 month old MacBook Pro has frozen at the 'enter password ' page after sleep. Cursor is responsive with touchpad, but no keyboard response. So no way to enter password.

In the 'olden days' I would just hit the power button. But there is no power button on this machine.

Suggestions???

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 9:31 AM

PROBLEM SOLVED! I found that after trying the 'Touch ID' button more than once, here is what happened:

1. hit button several times with no result
  2. hit button and held it for brief time and as I let go the screen went dark and lit up again. no change
  3. hit button and held it down until screen went dark ! It then rebooted, keyboard responded to login, and all is well.

Sorry for lengthly reply, but others may be frustrated the same way, and this is your answer.

Hold the 'Touch ID [or power button] until the screen goes dark! It should then reboot.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2020 9:31 AM in response to bonniebw

PROBLEM SOLVED! I found that after trying the 'Touch ID' button more than once, here is what happened:

1. hit button several times with no result
  2. hit button and held it for brief time and as I let go the screen went dark and lit up again. no change
  3. hit button and held it down until screen went dark ! It then rebooted, keyboard responded to login, and all is well.

Sorry for lengthly reply, but others may be frustrated the same way, and this is your answer.

Hold the 'Touch ID [or power button] until the screen goes dark! It should then reboot.

Jul 28, 2020 9:15 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thank you for your quick reply. Unfortunately this does not answer my question. I had already been to this link, and it does not deal with MacBook Pro with TouchBar controls/no power button. Is there something I missed there?

My problem is that I was moving from sleep mode, hit the space bar, and the login page displayed. The cursor was blinking in the password entry space, but my keystrokes would not appear. As noted above, my cursor would move, but that was all it did. it did not result in any changes in the TouchBar. I know this is normal until login--but I can't login because the keyboard is not responsive. And I cannot turn off the computer to reset, because there is no power button.

I figure there MUST be a simple answer, but I cannot find it in Apple Discussion or the Catalina missing manual, or any Google search I have so far come across.

reset when no power button on new Macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.