Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Play counts in iTunes not updating after syncing iPhone

I'm running the latest version of iTunes on my PC under Windows 10 and the latest version of iOS on my iPhone SE (2nd generation). If I play a song from iTunes it updates "Last Played" and "Played" correctly. However if I play the same songs from my iPhone, it no loner updates these fields when I sync to iTunes. When I searched the community, I noticed this is a recurring problem from years back though it mostly involved syncing with iMacs. I believe iTunes is now only a Windows App and I am not subscribing to Apple Music or iTunes Match (though I briefly tried and cancelled both to solve a different problem). Any ideas?

iPhone SE

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 10:18 AM

Sorry for a circular conversation here but I think I solved it. I was trying to remember what changes I had made recently to either iTunes or my phone that might have an impact. I remembered I had turned off "Show Apple Music" under Settings>Music on my iPhone because I have no intention of joining the service given how much I have invested in iTunes over the years. I turned it back on, played a song on my iPhone and then synced with iTunes and, sure enough, "Last Played" and "Played" updated correctly!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2020 10:18 AM in response to ntootill

Sorry for a circular conversation here but I think I solved it. I was trying to remember what changes I had made recently to either iTunes or my phone that might have an impact. I remembered I had turned off "Show Apple Music" under Settings>Music on my iPhone because I have no intention of joining the service given how much I have invested in iTunes over the years. I turned it back on, played a song on my iPhone and then synced with iTunes and, sure enough, "Last Played" and "Played" updated correctly!

Play counts in iTunes not updating after syncing iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.