Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen identity

I got a call rom “Apple Support” telling me the security for my account has been breached. This individual told me that someone in Dayton Ohio had attempted to purchase a phone under my name. I then gave my information to him including my banking information so he could get me a cash card. He then had me download quick support and the cash app to my down to my iPad, check my banking information and and got three $100 transactions on the card. I’m going to the bank today to see if any of this went through. How do I know that It is really Apple support when I get these phone calls.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 10:29 AM

Apple does not make such calls.

All such calls are scams from criminals attempting to steal your personal and financial information. The callers will often use number spoofing to pretend they are calling from a legitimate business. The correct course of action is to hang up on them, repeatedly if needed. 

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2020 10:29 AM in response to Wanderer4200

Apple does not make such calls.

All such calls are scams from criminals attempting to steal your personal and financial information. The callers will often use number spoofing to pretend they are calling from a legitimate business. The correct course of action is to hang up on them, repeatedly if needed. 

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Aug 12, 2020 3:27 AM in response to Wanderer4200

Hopefully, you opened a new bank account and received new bank cards (whether money was taken).  Set alerts (text) for your cc and banking accounts.  You will see transactions the second they hit your account before processed, any time of day.  Change all passwords for any accounts with weak pw, report and get new cards issued for any you think may be compromised, if you don't have one, get an RFID wallet to prevent people from skimming your information in public. I get emails purportedly from Apple, Amazon&other trusted companies stating my account has been breached or payment for fees declined, asked to click on links to re-enter my cc information with threats to cancel my account. Review addresses sent from to spot false addresses & see they are not legitimately from Apple or Amazon.  Never click on any suspicious links or call the phone numbers in an email, if you must call use a number you know belongs to the business.  I also get a ton of spam/phishing calls most recently purporting to be a four way call with the SSA, DEA, US Marshall, and the FBI telling me a story about how I was implicated in illegal activities (I was not involved in such activities), they were going to freeze this and that and wanted information from me, and then was transferred to the "next agency" who repeatedly tried to get me to confirm sensitive information which I refused to do and told them I wanted to speak with an agent locally in person and would go to the Federal Building to speak with them. They hung up on me.  I phoned the local office and they said I was not the only one to tell a similar story and the best course and what he does is to not give information and to get a name and number then contact the real agency so you can verify their credentials, however, Government agencies do not call and give a heads up to anyone they are investigating. We have widespread identity theft in my state and fraudulent unemployment filings as acknowledged my local and state government.  They are pointing to the Equifax breach as the source of information PID.  People will do anything to get your information; by phone, threats via email, or other means all in the name of stealing your identity to obtain access to your money, property, and perpetrate other crimes.  As suggested below, hang up on them, repeatedly if necessary, use your call block and report feature most cell carriers are offering now for mobiles, auto scam blocking, at no charge (more advanced features for a nominal fee) use software that came with your device from the maker as well. Be vigilant in reviewing your emails and looking at the email address they came from, look for poor use of the English language, misspellings, and think about what would happen if your payment method was not processed, you would see the declined authorization on by your credit card or banking institution. Set up alerts for you cards to notify you for purchases of (x amount), set up 2-factor authentication on apps, do anything and everything you can to secure your information and access.  Use Safari/other strong passwords have a strong password to access your Mac and other devices and update them.  Look for a list and sub to https://haveibeenpwned.com so you can learn about breaches where you have been compromised and what has been compromised before it hits the media. Just some additional information you may find helpful. Use all tools at your disposal to keep your cell and devices secure, I do not use Wi-Fi in public, do use an RFID wallet (easy to find online, get the full wallet not the card slips). I realize this information relates to more than just phishing calls, but thought I would share, since in general until the Equifax situation and filing of benefits under my name believed to be related to Equifax breach by state government, these tactics have helped my stay safe. The other email to avoid entertaining the thought being scared into paying off, is the one threatening to share a video of you watching adult content to your contacts list if you do not purchase and send them bitcoin, it is nothing but a phishing scam preying on the fear of those that may choose to watch such content in the privacy of their home (usually they will have a breached password to one of your accounts),state they installed software when you visited an adult site, talk about your taste in content, how they installed software when you visited such site and gained access to your computer, used your camera to video you as you watched the content (not true). Cover your camera with medical tape, an opaque index card, or get a cover with a slider made for pc cameras so you can use the camera as needed and cover it when not needed.  Bad actors are getting bolder and bolder and using the pandemic as the perfect opportunity to profit while we are vulnerable and fearful due to Covid-19 and the general unrest in the US.  Hopefully, the info I provided is helpful to you or others.

Stolen identity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.