Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

random folder pop up on desktop

A file keeps popping out on my desktop. named "native" every time I delete it it pops out again. I never created a folder of it..

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 6:11 PM

I noticed this a couple days ago and I think I possibly narrowed it down to my Cricut Design Space app/program. When I upload an image into the app, that’s when the random folder pops up on my desktop. I delete it, and it pops up again after I use the same app again. The folder contents are Native > Logs > PathOperation. I’ve used other programs on my MBP and so far only this app has caused this issue. This sure is annoying :(

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2020 6:11 PM in response to elaineyvettee

I noticed this a couple days ago and I think I possibly narrowed it down to my Cricut Design Space app/program. When I upload an image into the app, that’s when the random folder pops up on my desktop. I delete it, and it pops up again after I use the same app again. The folder contents are Native > Logs > PathOperation. I’ve used other programs on my MBP and so far only this app has caused this issue. This sure is annoying :(

Aug 4, 2020 7:39 AM in response to Roxygirly81

I too recently started using design space on my MBP. I am not a certified computer tech but worked in it for 10 plus years. Here are the steps I used (with help from my PC tech buddies) and it worked for me. Please be careful of where you are downloading the apps from and if you are unsure research.

1. I deleted the folder (NATIVE) and I ran etrechek, malwarebytes, ccleaner (all free, and in that order one right after the next).
  2. Emptied trash
  3. Restarted up in safe mode (The folder did not pop back up). I let the system sit in safe mode for a while (about 30 min) and I opended my regular apps. The folder still did not pop back up.
  4. Restarted my MBP again did not select the option to reopen same apps.
  5. Logged in and ran ccleaner again.
  6. Emptied Trash.

Its been about 2days now and the folder HAS NOT popped back up. Hope this helps!

Aug 4, 2020 4:20 PM in response to Callmelaycee

Thank you for the information Callmelaycee. I downloaded the apps and ran through everything like you mentioned in your post. Unfortunately, when I restarted in safe mode, opened up my Design Space and attempted to upload an image into the program; that **** folder popped up again.

Since this clearly seems to be a Design Space issue, I’m hoping Cricut will have some sort of fix for it soon 🤞🏼

Aug 25, 2020 8:04 AM in response to Roxygirly81

I am having the exact same issue! However, I didn't know what was causing it. So I did a test run of a Cricut Design Space upload and sure enough, that folder reappeared. I've been using DS for well over a year, with this same MacBook Air and have never had this issue until a few weeks ago. Incredibly frustrating as I'm neurotic and like a clean Desktop.

random folder pop up on desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.