Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get my photos off my MacBook Air ?

I have over 12,000 photos and it is taking up all the space on my MacBook Air. They are backed up on an external drive and on iCloud. How can I remove them from my Mac to free up space?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 9:12 PM

You can select few photos see this article Select and deselect photos in Photos on Mac - Apple Support and delete to recently deleted folder see this article Delete photos or recover deleted ones in Photos on Mac - Apple Support ( its your choice to delete them permanently immediately or after 30 days the photos will be removed from the iCloud server ) .

In this way the complete photo data is still on external hard drive , but the space is reduced in photo library .

See this article to export photos Export photos, videos, and slideshows from Photos on Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2020 9:12 PM in response to LacyAD

You can select few photos see this article Select and deselect photos in Photos on Mac - Apple Support and delete to recently deleted folder see this article Delete photos or recover deleted ones in Photos on Mac - Apple Support ( its your choice to delete them permanently immediately or after 30 days the photos will be removed from the iCloud server ) .

In this way the complete photo data is still on external hard drive , but the space is reduced in photo library .

See this article to export photos Export photos, videos, and slideshows from Photos on Mac - Apple Support

How can I get my photos off my MacBook Air ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.