Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Heating on MacBook Pro 2020

My MBP2020 (i5 8th gen,8gb) which I bought a few weeks back is experiencing a lot of heating while browsing web with multiple tabs , watching Netflix , etc.

Is is normal?... what should I do?

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 3:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 11:39 AM

I think it’s more about indexing the images copied to the laptop, meaning creating thumbnails and previews. To be running with high CPU for multiple days since the images were copied, it’d have to be tens of gigabytes of images. It should finish in a couple days, if it won’t go away by itself, try restarting.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2020 11:39 AM in response to kasi999

I think it’s more about indexing the images copied to the laptop, meaning creating thumbnails and previews. To be running with high CPU for multiple days since the images were copied, it’d have to be tens of gigabytes of images. It should finish in a couple days, if it won’t go away by itself, try restarting.

Jul 29, 2020 10:05 AM in response to kasi999

Your Mac is designed to cool itself. If there is a need to use a cooling pad then something is not working as designed. Try following these instructions.

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

If your mac still runs too hot after following the linked to instructions take it to an authorized service center for evaluation.

Jul 29, 2020 10:34 AM in response to kasi999

If you go to Activity Monitor > CPU tab, then sort descending by % CPU. There's probably some process that does tens of percents of CPU usage if the laptop is hot. Nice thing about Safari is that you can see each website's CPU usage separately in this Activity Monitor list. You should be able to identify the websites or apps that are responsible for the excessive heat.

Jul 29, 2020 11:22 AM in response to kasi999

Normally it's not okay, but if the laptop is newly set up, or it has new photos that were copied to it recently, it might do this for a few days until it finishes syncing or indexing the images.

If it's not newly set up and you haven't copied files to it or connected external drives to it, you should try restarting and checking if this process still consumes too much CPU.

Heating on MacBook Pro 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.