Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home app losing connection when not at home

Since the latest tvOS update (??) I've been having a hard time trying to use the home app when I'm away from home connected to the internet via LTE or hotspot (WiFi). It works if I 'restart' the AppleTV through the settings page on the Apple TV for a while then stops. I had it working yesterday (all day) when I had only my iPhone8 'paired' with the AppleTV. I paired my iPadPro3 last night, this morning BOTH don't work (no response) when I am at work. This is very frustrating.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 6:21 PM

Connecting to a single AppleTV 4 but I do have an older generation v3.

Tonight the ‘restart’ failed to work and I still couldn’t connect when away from the ‘home’ network. Once I ‘reset with software update,’ it seems to be working. I’ll ultimately know (most-likely tomorrow evening. Forgive me if I’ll wait a few days before believing it works LOL

Jb

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2020 6:21 PM in response to Michael Paine

Connecting to a single AppleTV 4 but I do have an older generation v3.

Tonight the ‘restart’ failed to work and I still couldn’t connect when away from the ‘home’ network. Once I ‘reset with software update,’ it seems to be working. I’ll ultimately know (most-likely tomorrow evening. Forgive me if I’ll wait a few days before believing it works LOL

Jb

Jul 29, 2020 2:01 PM in response to Grapevine Graphics

Do you connect to another ATV at work? Remote access for my Homekit system has been working well except when I set up another ATV in a holiday apartment for a week. Despite the 2nd ATV not being used for Homekit (but logged into the same iCloud account). I found that when my iPhone was connected to the apartment wifi I could not access my home system via the Home app. If I turned wifi off on the iPhone it worked again using 3G/4G.

Aug 4, 2020 3:20 PM in response to Grapevine Graphics

This morning I woke up and (not only) have I lost connection when outside my network but switches (Philips Hue) and automation weren't functioning properly. If I used the Home app I was able to trigger the routines and lights and the switches were being seen by the app... the switches just did not activate the devices.

After much frustration I have bought a new AppleTV, at least Apple's got their sh*t together for setting up, only took a few minutes.

Now I wait... (oh brother)

Now the wait... does

Home app losing connection when not at home

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.