Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS 10.15.6 is causing memory leaks for users using VMware Fusion/Vbox

Anyone else have a ticket open with Apple to resolve this issue? The workaround we have now is to have the user reboot to temporarily remediate the problem.

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 10:02 AM

17 replies

Jul 29, 2020 10:35 AM in response to Intueng4691

What is the issue? If third party apps are demonstrating memory leaks it is only the developers of the third party apps that can fix the memory leaks.

You have not described the issue. Is it that you for example allocate 8GB RAM to the VM and it uses more than that over time? Is it that it stops working because allocated RAM is not managed?

Jul 30, 2020 7:42 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

The bug is a new kernel memory leak in 10.15.6 that seems to be tickled by virtualisation - vmware and virtualbox users are suffering badly. You'll see wired memory in activity monitor slowly climb.

For me, I'm see it on multiple systems with my 32GB iMac crashing once per day. The blast often causes corrupt authentication states on restart (apart from generally losing open state)

People have been screaming for more than a week but Apple has been silent.

Aug 4, 2020 11:05 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

From VMWARE:

Users of virtualization software have reported that macOS 10.15.6 crashes repeatedly when running virtual machines.

A regression in the App Sandbox component of macOS 10.15.6 is reportedly leaking kernel memory, causing macOS to crash. The purpose of an App Sandbox is to provide protection to system resources and limit an app's access to resources, such as memory.

VMware engineers have today diagnosed the issue and filed a "comprehensive" report with Apple, including a minimal reproduction case which should allow them to easily identify and address the issue. The engineer cautions that "it isn't looking good" going forwards, and it will likely fall to Apple to resolve the issue in a software update to macOS. It is unclear if this issue exists in developer and public betas of macOS Big Sur.

The workaround suggested by many users and VMware engineers is to refrain from installing macOS 10.15.6, or shutting down virtual machines when they are not in use and rebooting the host as often as possible.

so fare this is the second such issue in 12 months. Can somebody please bring back Steve jobs... apple is making most look good.

Tags: VMware, macOS vmfusion:

Aug 5, 2020 10:04 AM in response to Intueng4691

Any response from Apple on when a fix for this issue will be available? I've been having this problem since 7/20. It seems to be getting worse as now I have to reboot more than once a day to recover from this issue. Before, the crash would just shut down the machine. Now, it hangs multiple times before becoming totally unresponsive. Powering off and back on clears the condition but I have lost in process changes on different apps. I need to able to use VMWare (with Windows) for my current project and can't afford the loss in productivity this issue is causing.

Aug 13, 2020 7:50 AM in response to nick_tnt

New build 10.15.6 (19G2021) has come in form apply tonight. Many thanks to apple of this.

running VMfusion I was loosing BOUT 1.6GIG an hour as soon as I got to 12gig out of 16gig everything became unstable and eventually a reboot was inevitable. So I found myself rebooting every ~5 hours. that is a full cold boot of Mac OS.

Loading the update I have been up for 6 hours any memory slightly lowered from boot but rock solid. the same.

Awesome apple but I wish you would have just posted us you were working on it. But very pleased with the result...

Aug 13, 2020 7:57 AM in response to Intueng4691

YEP I was loosing 1.6gig/hr and when I got to 12gig our of 16 everything became unstable. I had been logging this with activity monitor

Tonight, I load 10.15.6 (19G2021) Hot of the press and it fixed it. memory usage dropped a little after VMfusion settled and loved in to VM then memory usage for several hours was rock solid flat.

All you got to do to load the update is just go to apple menu>about this Mac> check for updates. then it will take about 20min.

Thanks apple ...

Aug 13, 2020 9:31 AM in response to nick_tnt

Installed the update late yesterday and have been monitoring for any issues. So far, the memory leak issues appears to be resolved. Today I've been up with VMWare Win10 environment and no stability or memory issues.

To Apple:

It would have been nice to receive some sort of feedback that this issue was being worked with regular status updates on progress i.e. code written, function testing, etc. It's the old adage of 'I don't mind waiting in line as long as the line is moving or there is some indication of when it will be my turn'.

When there is no feedback or status updates on a high impact pervasive issue, it appears that nothing is being done about it and there is no time frame in which a resolution will be delivered. If the platform I'm using for work is not stable, eventually a decision will be made for me on the use of alternates so that my productivity is not impacted.

In the month or so that I was affected by this issue, I lost a minimum of 10 - 12 hours worth of productive time which I cannot ever get back. Additionally, with all of the analytical tools available to Apple, it should be a fairly easy matter to notify all of the users impacted by this software defect of its resolution. Relying on word of mouth from other impacted users is not a best in class process. Apple support needs to do better.

macOS 10.15.6 is causing memory leaks for users using VMware Fusion/Vbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.