Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2-Factor Authentication

I have 2 factor authentication, which is great but, when I sign in to iCloud on my mac air, the verification code is sent to my mac air, which kind of defeats the object. How can I fix this?

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 1:41 AM

GaryHatherly wrote:

Why is nobody understanding. WHY does the authorisation code appear on the very machine I’m using to log into my Apple account? It’s pointless.

We understand completely. It's you that doesn't.

The 2FA code is meant to protect your account, not the device.

Secure access to the device comes from your username and password FOR YOUR Mac. Once you have successfully passed that stage, any time you need access to your Apple data, you ask for a verification code (2FA) to be sent to the device you have demonstrated secure control of.

Since only you should be able to sign in to your Mac, the 2FA code is secure and allows only you to access your Apple account and content.

If your Mac is left unlocked or has an easily guessed password, then yes, 2FA may not appear to have any value.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2020 1:41 AM in response to GaryHatherly

GaryHatherly wrote:

Why is nobody understanding. WHY does the authorisation code appear on the very machine I’m using to log into my Apple account? It’s pointless.

We understand completely. It's you that doesn't.

The 2FA code is meant to protect your account, not the device.

Secure access to the device comes from your username and password FOR YOUR Mac. Once you have successfully passed that stage, any time you need access to your Apple data, you ask for a verification code (2FA) to be sent to the device you have demonstrated secure control of.

Since only you should be able to sign in to your Mac, the 2FA code is secure and allows only you to access your Apple account and content.

If your Mac is left unlocked or has an easily guessed password, then yes, 2FA may not appear to have any value.

Jul 29, 2020 11:52 AM in response to GaryHatherly

You have added a trusted number in two factor authentication account and it is verified , but the text will appear on mobile number when both Mac and device ( it will be iPhone only and not an android phone ) are signed in with same Apple ID and password , however the android device can be configured to get the code , perhaps it cannot be signed in with Apple ID and password .

And if the Mac and iPhone are signed in with same apple id and password , you can click any one of it to get the code ( click on get a verification code on iPhone screen or if you cancel it will appear on Mac .

See these articles https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204974

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204915

Jul 30, 2020 5:12 PM in response to tygb

I understand what you have said but that is not my problem. I want to know why the authorisation code appears on my macair when it is my macair that I'm trying to login on. The code also appears on my phone, which is as it should be. The code should not appear on my macair. If somebody managed to login to my laptop and tried to log in to my apple account, they would receive the security code on the same machine they are using, ie, my macair.

Jul 31, 2020 2:35 AM in response to GaryHatherly

The 2FA code will appear on the primary machine / the account is created from as Mac .

Just to explain with an example from my Mac , I create 2FA from Mac and add two trusted numbers and both are verified in the account , but they are not synced using same Apple ID and password , the code will not go to the device however the account is active on iCloud server the Mac acts as device and will generate a code over it ( suppose I turn off the iPhone , or if iPhone is damaged for some reason ) , it doesn't mean the account is disabled on the server .

Note : location services is turned as on , find my Mac is turned as on , so Mac is searched using IP address of mine and code is displayed over the Mac .

2-Factor Authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.