Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to set up messages to be linked to my Mac from my iPhone, but there is no option for text message forwarding in my settings even though the devices are on the same icloud.

I am trying to set up messages to be linked to my Mac from my iPhone, but there is no option for text message forwarding in my settings even though the devices are on the same icloud.

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 12:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 1:01 AM

With the limited information that you have provided, I had to guess the problems faced by you. Some of it can be understood by reading below

1. Set up text message forwarding
    1. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. On your Mac, open Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click iMessage. Make sure that you're signed in to iMessage with the same Apple ID on all your devices.
    2. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding.*
    3. Choose which devices can send and receive text messages from your iPhone. If you're not using two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, a verification code appears on each of your other devices: enter that code on your iPhone.
  2. To stop getting calls on one of your devices, just turn off the Calls from iPhone setting on that device. See the setup section above for details.
  3. You can use iPhone Cellular Calls with any Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod touch that meets the Continuity system requirements. It works when your devices are near each other and set up as follows:
      1. Each device is signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID.
      2. Each device is signed in to FaceTime with the same Apple ID.
      3. Each device has Wi-Fi turned on.
      4. Each device is connected to the same network using Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
      5. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Phone > Calls on Other Devices, then turn on Allow Calls on Other Devices.
      6. On your iPad or iPod touch, go to Settings > FaceTime, then turn on Calls from iPhone.
  4. On your Mac, open the FaceTime app, then choose FaceTime > Preferences. Click Settings, then select Calls From iPhone.
  5. If your carrier supports Wi-Fi calling on other devices, you can set up those devices to make and receive calls even when your iPhone isn't turned on or nearby. Learn about Wi-Fi calling.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2020 1:01 AM in response to lexipetrauskas

With the limited information that you have provided, I had to guess the problems faced by you. Some of it can be understood by reading below

1. Set up text message forwarding
    1. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. On your Mac, open Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click iMessage. Make sure that you're signed in to iMessage with the same Apple ID on all your devices.
    2. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding.*
    3. Choose which devices can send and receive text messages from your iPhone. If you're not using two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, a verification code appears on each of your other devices: enter that code on your iPhone.
  2. To stop getting calls on one of your devices, just turn off the Calls from iPhone setting on that device. See the setup section above for details.
  3. You can use iPhone Cellular Calls with any Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod touch that meets the Continuity system requirements. It works when your devices are near each other and set up as follows:
      1. Each device is signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID.
      2. Each device is signed in to FaceTime with the same Apple ID.
      3. Each device has Wi-Fi turned on.
      4. Each device is connected to the same network using Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
      5. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Phone > Calls on Other Devices, then turn on Allow Calls on Other Devices.
      6. On your iPad or iPod touch, go to Settings > FaceTime, then turn on Calls from iPhone.
  4. On your Mac, open the FaceTime app, then choose FaceTime > Preferences. Click Settings, then select Calls From iPhone.
  5. If your carrier supports Wi-Fi calling on other devices, you can set up those devices to make and receive calls even when your iPhone isn't turned on or nearby. Learn about Wi-Fi calling.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.