Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Heating of MacBook Pro 20

Hi ,

I recently purchased MacBook Pro 20 the latest model in 13 inch variant. however while using so I realised that the laptop gets heated to very high temperatures while charging and also while using for simple office work like MS office. I also realised that I cannot use this laptop actually on my lap as is heat up is real bad and become non feasible to use actually on lap.

however I also use my laptop for my online meeting which goes upto 3 hrs at one stretch, hope that is not a concern or a showstopper for the heating up?

the whole purpose of laptop mobility gets lost due to such issue and its a matter of concern for users as well as APPLE Inc. while reviewing through the other questions I realised that I have to keep my firmware and OS updated. As this is a latest I presume the firmware will be updated but I also updated my OS but of no use.

Don't understand whether its a product issue or something else. But I am sure many people in this community will be facing the same similar one.

kindly share a resolution for getting rid of this heating up issue.

Thanks

Navin

MacBook Pro 13″, 10.15

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 11:18 AM

The heating up that you are experiencing can be caused by various reasons. It shouldn't be too much to worry about, aside from the uncomfortable heat.

I would recommend sticking with using your laptop on a flat, hard surface. The four rubber feet on the bottom of your macbook will ensure there is enough air circulation to dissipate the heat your Mac generates. Your lap (as well as your bed, etc) are a soft surfaces, and they will tend to block all the breathing vents of laptop, making the temperature rise. This in turn heats up the lap holding the device. What’s comfortable for you may not be wise for your MacBook. It’s a bad idea to put your Mac on a softer surface like your lap, pillow, or bed, as there will be inadequate air circulation under and around the computer. Even worse, because the soft fabric essentially absorbs the heat, it will make your Mac even hotter.

However, I would try making sure you don't have too many apps open at the same time. Some apps running in the background may be especially demanding on your CPU resources. To identify these apps, open the Activity Monitor app (pre installed). Activity Monitor is a built-in utility on macOS that shows the processes that are running on a Mac so users can get an idea about how they affect a Mac’s activity and performance. You can open the utility via Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor, or do a quick Spotlight search to launch the app. To figure out what is to blame for the increase in your MacBook Pro’s temperature, simply click the CPU column, which will sort all the apps and processes. Now pay attention to the percentage. If an app is using close to 80% of the CPU, it’s for sure the culprit. Feel free to double-click on it and hit “Quit.” If the app becomes unresponsive, try Force Quit.

--------

[Edited by Moderator]

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2020 11:18 AM in response to nichenavin

The heating up that you are experiencing can be caused by various reasons. It shouldn't be too much to worry about, aside from the uncomfortable heat.

I would recommend sticking with using your laptop on a flat, hard surface. The four rubber feet on the bottom of your macbook will ensure there is enough air circulation to dissipate the heat your Mac generates. Your lap (as well as your bed, etc) are a soft surfaces, and they will tend to block all the breathing vents of laptop, making the temperature rise. This in turn heats up the lap holding the device. What’s comfortable for you may not be wise for your MacBook. It’s a bad idea to put your Mac on a softer surface like your lap, pillow, or bed, as there will be inadequate air circulation under and around the computer. Even worse, because the soft fabric essentially absorbs the heat, it will make your Mac even hotter.

However, I would try making sure you don't have too many apps open at the same time. Some apps running in the background may be especially demanding on your CPU resources. To identify these apps, open the Activity Monitor app (pre installed). Activity Monitor is a built-in utility on macOS that shows the processes that are running on a Mac so users can get an idea about how they affect a Mac’s activity and performance. You can open the utility via Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor, or do a quick Spotlight search to launch the app. To figure out what is to blame for the increase in your MacBook Pro’s temperature, simply click the CPU column, which will sort all the apps and processes. Now pay attention to the percentage. If an app is using close to 80% of the CPU, it’s for sure the culprit. Feel free to double-click on it and hit “Quit.” If the app becomes unresponsive, try Force Quit.

--------

[Edited by Moderator]

Heating of MacBook Pro 20

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.