Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to undo Cleanup pressed by mistake on desktop

Hello

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. I had quite a bit saved on the desktop. Was going to change the desktop background and by error pressed this button-"clean up my mac" which is just below it. It all of a sudden kind of multiplied all the files on the desktop and the background became full and almost nothing can be seen except with all the files repeating themselves. I restarted the mac but nothing is happening and it still stays the same. On finder in the desktop section each file is single and not duplicated. I have tried to clean up by name etc but nothing is happening. Not sure if anyone has any tricks.

I have MacOS High Sierra

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 11:59 AM

Have you tried the "undo" command? ⌘+ z

Now that the horse is out of the barn it's wise to not have that many files/folder on the desktop. Put them in folders in the Documents folder and put an alias file to the overall containing folder on the Desktop. Open the alias file when you want access to them. This prevents accidental deletion of files/folders from the Desktop and other accidents like you're experiencing.

You can go to your Home/User folder and select the Desktop folder. In it you can use the List view and begin adding them to a Folder in the Documents folder.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2020 11:59 AM in response to mmy2

Have you tried the "undo" command? ⌘+ z

Now that the horse is out of the barn it's wise to not have that many files/folder on the desktop. Put them in folders in the Documents folder and put an alias file to the overall containing folder on the Desktop. Open the alias file when you want access to them. This prevents accidental deletion of files/folders from the Desktop and other accidents like you're experiencing.

You can go to your Home/User folder and select the Desktop folder. In it you can use the List view and begin adding them to a Folder in the Documents folder.

How to undo Cleanup pressed by mistake on desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.