Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone not working on communications apps, iPad Pro 11" 2nd Gen 2020.

I have an unusual issue on my iPad Pro, which should be as simple as turning the mic "On" in settings, however the mic is in fact set to "On", so it is baffling. I can use the iPad Pro's mic while using; notes √, Siri √, messages √, Safari √, a message using messenger √, and finally the Voice memo app √ these apps all work with the iPad Pro's microphone.

FaceTime: the internal mic on the iPad Pro will NOT work while using FaceTime that includes an audio call or a video call.

Messenger; "allow messenger access to - microphone" is green ie; access granted. But unlike dictating a message in Messenger, the mic does not work for an audio call or a video call.

The microphone is NOT muted in either app denoted by the mic icon NOT highlighted, I have tested this in both muted and none muted, the mic does NOT work no matter which setting is chosen.

The above communications apps work fine on all of our iPhones, it is only the iPad Pro that has this issue.

Software is up-to-date 13.6.

Help.... G

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 12:32 AM

13 replies

Dec 14, 2020 5:45 PM in response to doganfromistanbul

I am having the exact same issue. The issue started about 2 months after buying my new iPad Pro 11. Apple support could not fix it so they replaced it with a new iPad. The new iPad worked great but then the issue started again about 2 months after receiving it. I did a full restore to factory settings and DID NOT restore to any backup but the microphone will still not work in any type of calling apps.

Has anyone heard anything more about this issue? I really dont want to have to get a 3rd replacement iPad. It seems like this has to be some type of software issue.

Thank you!

Sep 6, 2020 6:25 PM in response to glenys272

I'm having the same issue. My microphone works for dictation, Siri, voice memos, etc. but it doesn't work for anything involving VOIP. FaceTime, Skype, Discord, etc. I did some troubleshooting online and at the Genius Bar and they couldn't fix it so they replaced it under warranty. Now three weeks later I'm having the same problem. I'll probably do another warranty replacement but not restore from a backup this time. I'm following your post so if you find a solution please keep me updated.

Jan 6, 2021 2:58 PM in response to glenys272

So I had the same problem exactly as described by the original post and it baffled me for ages. I eventually found the issue. Not hardware related, nor software related, more ‘let me stupidly cover the mics with a skin cover’ related! Even though the strips of the case has specific holes to align with the speakers mics and buttons so they are not covered it affected the use of them. There’s two mics on the top edge of the iPad just above the front facing camera in the form of two dots. I’m assuming these are the main mics used when using comms apps and the mic on the left side or on the rear facing camera are used more on the Siri / camera / notes apps (could be wrong on this point though)

anyway, i’m not sure if this is why others are experiencing this issue but hopefully it helps.

Microphone not working on communications apps, iPad Pro 11" 2nd Gen 2020.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.