Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You may not install this volume because the computer is missing a firmware partition

I get this error when trying to update my early 2013 Macbook Air to Catalina from El Capitain: You may not install this volume because the computer is missing a firmware partition.

I am running an internal OWC Aura SSD formatted for Mac OS Extended (journaled), which I understand is probably the problem. Is there a way to update to Catalina running a third party internal drive?

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 6:15 PM

See if your SSD can use this OWC SSD firmware update (I have no idea why OWC doesn't put this firmware update on their SSD download section):

https://eshop.macsales.com/Service/Knowledgebase/Article/10/730/Aura-SSDs-Firmware-Update

If this doesn't work, then you will need to reinstall the original Apple SSD and install macOS 10.13+ to the original Apple SSD. The macOS 10.13+ installers require an original Apple PCIe SSD to be installed internally. The original Apple PCIe SSD needs to be GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled). This will allow the macOS 10.13+ installer to upgrade the laptop's system firmware.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2020 6:15 PM in response to David Epley

See if your SSD can use this OWC SSD firmware update (I have no idea why OWC doesn't put this firmware update on their SSD download section):

https://eshop.macsales.com/Service/Knowledgebase/Article/10/730/Aura-SSDs-Firmware-Update

If this doesn't work, then you will need to reinstall the original Apple SSD and install macOS 10.13+ to the original Apple SSD. The macOS 10.13+ installers require an original Apple PCIe SSD to be installed internally. The original Apple PCIe SSD needs to be GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled). This will allow the macOS 10.13+ installer to upgrade the laptop's system firmware.

You may not install this volume because the computer is missing a firmware partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.