Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retrieving data from an airport time capsule

My airport time capsule received a surge through the Ethernet connection and seems to be dead. Is there any way to retrieve the data on the hard drive within the airport time capsule?

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 3:02 PM

Thank you so much. I am a retired computer systems developer and I have been working with Apple products and other PCs since the Apple II and IBM PC. The drive from the Time Capsule is a Seagate Barracuda. We have a MakerSpace here in Greencastle Indiana with several savy guys that I think can help me pull the data off the drive if it is still ion running condition.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2020 3:02 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you so much. I am a retired computer systems developer and I have been working with Apple products and other PCs since the Apple II and IBM PC. The drive from the Time Capsule is a Seagate Barracuda. We have a MakerSpace here in Greencastle Indiana with several savy guys that I think can help me pull the data off the drive if it is still ion running condition.

Aug 2, 2020 2:54 PM in response to edwardfromgreencastle

When you mentioned that the Time Capsule appeared to be "dead", I took that to mean that there was no power to the device, so the Time Capsule really was "most sincerely dead".*

However, if there is still power to the unit, then one of the other Ethernet LAN ports might be working. In that case, the Time Capsule may only be "mostly dead". That's different from being "all dead" since "mostly dead is slightly alive".**

• The Wizard of Oz
  • The Princess Bride

Aug 2, 2020 12:47 PM in response to edwardfromgreencastle

If the Time Capsule is dead or non operational, the only way that you can retrieve the data on the Time Capsule hard drive is to physically open it up and pull the hard drive out.

Then, connect the hard drive to a SATA to USB converter and connect it to your Mac.

No guarantees that this work or course, if the hard drive has been damaged, which is a real possibility.

Would help if we could get the model number of the Time Capsule.

Aug 2, 2020 1:15 PM in response to edwardfromgreencastle

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/AirPort+Time+Capsule+A1470+(Mini!)+Teardown/15067

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/AirPort+Extreme+A1521+Teardown/15044

The AirPort Extreme is the same product, except it does not have a hard drive inside. The article for the AirPort Extreme provides more details on the disassembly.

Check Amazon for a "SATA to USB adapter" About $25-35. I use the Sabrent product. Not sure if Apple will let us post links to Amazon. Try the link below:

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Lay-Flat-Docking-EC-DFLT/dp/B00LS5NFQ2/ref=sxin_7_ac_d_rm?ac_md=3-3-c2F0YSB0byB1c2IgZG9jaw%3D%3D-ac_d_rm&crid=2IU52JLZDLVUD&cv_ct_cx=sata+to+usb+adapter&dchild=1&keywords=sata+to+usb+adapter&pd_rd_i=B00LS5NFQ2&pd_rd_r=e7164955-609f-403f-bbc5-43f9b540245d&pd_rd_w=SulDv&pd_rd_wg=6V8RC&pf_rd_p=54ae11ea-870e-480b-a70f-1f4a57c2e311&pf_rd_r=BVM9N84X7N74164BHYSJ&psc=1&qid=1596399103&sprefix=sata+to+usb%2Caps%2C179&sr=1-4-12d4272d-8adb-4121-8624-135149aa9081

Unfortunately, Apple did not design the Time Capsule for service, so you will need to be extremely careful with this. If you are not a good do-it-yourself type, it would be a good idea to take the Time Capsule in to repair shop and have them pull the drive and copy the files over to another drive for you.

Aug 2, 2020 2:34 PM in response to edwardfromgreencastle

Are all the ethernet ports dead.. have a try at plugging directly to a computer using each port in turn. You will sometimes find ports not connected at the time of the surge survive.

Also wifi should survive.

When you power the TC on does it light up at all. Front LED flash and the ethernet lights should all flash at least once.

If it is completely dead then pull the drive.. this is not so easy but for a dead TC is not a big issue since you don't need to worry about damage to the TC plugs and sockets.

As Bob has commented if this is merely backups.. I would not worry over much about recovery .. just start a new backup to a new device and keep the disk in a draw for a few months to ensure nothing you need is going to need recovery.

I would also note if you do not encrypt the backup it is relatively easy for someone to access that backup.. so do remove the drive anyway just to prevent it falling into hands of the dishonest.

Retrieving data from an airport time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.