Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I keep 2 projects open for editing at the same time in the latest version of iMovie

I’m not finished editing one movie project and need to start a new project without finalizing the 1st. Is there a way to open a new project without finalizing an existing project. My experience is that when I add a new project with the plus icon in projects, it wants me to name and finalize an existing project.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 3:33 PM

Hi, Coleyb,

You cannot have two projects open on your screen at the same time. You could with the old iMovie 6, but not with subsequent iMovie versions.

However, you can close Project #1 and it will save to your projects browser (the screen where your projects are displayed as icons). You can then open or create another project, say Project #2, and edit the new project Then you can close Project #2. It will save in your projects browser like Project #1 did. Then you can go back to Project #1 in the projects browser to continue editing it. You can alternate between the two projects this way. It's just that you cannot have them open on your screen at the same time.

After you close any project in iMovie it will remain intact in the projects browser, with all your edits preserved, where you can later go back to it and continue editing. Even if you share out (export) the project to a movie file, or to email, or to a video website, you can always go back to the project in iMovie and share it out again and again, and re-edit it again and again.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2020 3:33 PM in response to Coleyb

Hi, Coleyb,

You cannot have two projects open on your screen at the same time. You could with the old iMovie 6, but not with subsequent iMovie versions.

However, you can close Project #1 and it will save to your projects browser (the screen where your projects are displayed as icons). You can then open or create another project, say Project #2, and edit the new project Then you can close Project #2. It will save in your projects browser like Project #1 did. Then you can go back to Project #1 in the projects browser to continue editing it. You can alternate between the two projects this way. It's just that you cannot have them open on your screen at the same time.

After you close any project in iMovie it will remain intact in the projects browser, with all your edits preserved, where you can later go back to it and continue editing. Even if you share out (export) the project to a movie file, or to email, or to a video website, you can always go back to the project in iMovie and share it out again and again, and re-edit it again and again.

-- Rich

How can I keep 2 projects open for editing at the same time in the latest version of iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.