iMovie not duplicating a project

iMovie wont let me duplicate a project a 2nd time.

I've tried control D; selecting the project edit/duplicate; exporting it to my desktop and trying to reimport it,

but it is grayed out when I try to import. Any suggestions?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 5:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 6:44 PM

Creat a new project. Then close it and go back to your original project. In your original project do an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy. Then reopen your newly created project, click in the time line, and do Edit/Paste. All your media from the original project, including the edits, will carry over. You will now have a duplicate project.

— Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2023 6:44 PM in response to susanfromberthoud

Creat a new project. Then close it and go back to your original project. In your original project do an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy. Then reopen your newly created project, click in the time line, and do Edit/Paste. All your media from the original project, including the edits, will carry over. You will now have a duplicate project.

— Rich

Jun 23, 2023 10:36 PM in response to ah2772

Open the projects browser screen, where you projects are displayed as icons. Move your cursor over the project icon and that will cause a little circle with dots to appear to the right of the project title. Click on the circle and then click on Duplicate Project in the pop up menu that appears. The will create a duplicate of the project.

If still no luck, try deleting preferences by opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you can duplicste a project.

—- Rich

iMovie not duplicating a project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.