Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens when the arrangement tab for displays is not showing as an option

I am trying to extend the monitor from my mac book air to an external monitor. When I go to system preferences and click on display there is no option for appearance. It was there previously? How can I extend to a second monitor without this step?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 5:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 10:55 PM

The Arrangement tab will only appear when your MacBook Air has recognized an externally connected Display. In this case, it probably isn't detecting your external display.

Can you disconnect everything external from your MacBook Air and then try resetting SMC and NVRAM as when below? See if performing those tasks resolves the issue-

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2020 10:55 PM in response to confusedlearner24

The Arrangement tab will only appear when your MacBook Air has recognized an externally connected Display. In this case, it probably isn't detecting your external display.

Can you disconnect everything external from your MacBook Air and then try resetting SMC and NVRAM as when below? See if performing those tasks resolves the issue-

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM

Axel F.

What happens when the arrangement tab for displays is not showing as an option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.