Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

for shutdown my MacBook Pro does not recognize my admin name. keeps asking

I know my correct user admin name but I can't SHUTDOWN my computer as it keeps asking me to enter a valid user name and I try to repeat but still no go. Password seems OK as it does not ask for correction there. I have never had trouble SHUTTING DOWN in more than 8 years with Apple Mac Pro. HELP

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 6:29 PM

Hi there Mishapooh72!

We appreciate you sending these details over to us, and we're happy to help out. If we understand correctly, you're seeing an alert asking for a username and password when you try to power off your MacBook Pro, is that correct? If so, do you have any other user accounts on the Mac besides the account you're working in now? The reason we ask is that if another user account has apps open, it may ask you to sign into that account as well and save any data before shutting down. This helps prevent any data loss in the other account. You can use this guide to help determine if you have any other users set up that may still be logged in: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

We look forward to hearing the results!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2020 6:29 PM in response to Mishapooh72

Hi there Mishapooh72!

We appreciate you sending these details over to us, and we're happy to help out. If we understand correctly, you're seeing an alert asking for a username and password when you try to power off your MacBook Pro, is that correct? If so, do you have any other user accounts on the Mac besides the account you're working in now? The reason we ask is that if another user account has apps open, it may ask you to sign into that account as well and save any data before shutting down. This helps prevent any data loss in the other account. You can use this guide to help determine if you have any other users set up that may still be logged in: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

We look forward to hearing the results!

Aug 5, 2020 7:04 PM in response to Amanda239_91

You are absolutely correct. With Apple help over the phone I was advised to eliminate a non-existent other user. Thereby it recognized my admin name. I just had to get to the screen in preferences were it allows you to see "users". Somehow I had checked there was another user too. I turned it OFF and WHAA LAH. it worked. I am able to shut down now. Thank you very much for answering me. Angel.

for shutdown my MacBook Pro does not recognize my admin name. keeps asking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.