Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i delete music and playlists from my Mac but keep them on my iphone?

I want to free up storage on my Mac and don't listen to music on it. I want to delete all my music in the music app but retain them all on my Iphone.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2020 11:36 AM

Do you have a subscription to either Apple Music or iTunes Match? With these services you can remove local downloads as a way of freeing up space, although I would still recommend that you have a copy of everything on an external drive. Otherwise if you stop syncing your device with your computer you can remove tracks from your computer and they should stay on the device, but you won't be able to sync in future and if you ever need to restore the device you will lose the content stored on it.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2020 11:36 AM in response to Steveg501

Do you have a subscription to either Apple Music or iTunes Match? With these services you can remove local downloads as a way of freeing up space, although I would still recommend that you have a copy of everything on an external drive. Otherwise if you stop syncing your device with your computer you can remove tracks from your computer and they should stay on the device, but you won't be able to sync in future and if you ever need to restore the device you will lose the content stored on it.

tt2

How do i delete music and playlists from my Mac but keep them on my iphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.