Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX crashing immediately.

please help. FCPX won't launch. Crashes immediately. I've tried re-installing, cleaning preferences, and resetting nvram.

Posted on Aug 4, 2020 2:38 PM

12 replies

Aug 4, 2020 7:23 PM in response to Rsturgis

Have you done any updates to your computer or FCPX about the time this started?

What version MacOS and FCPX are you running?

Are you reinstalling from the App Store?

As Tom sugguested, try creating a new user and boot into that user and check to see if it's still crashing.

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode? Restart your mac holding down the SHIFT key. See if that makes a difference to the crash.

Aug 5, 2020 1:50 PM in response to Rsturgis

The problem is a conflict in the main user. As Luis said generate an EtreCheck report using full drive access from the application preferences. To produce a report use File->New Report. Then use the copy report function and paste it using the Additional Text button in the reply box.. The application is a free download from the App Store. 

Aug 7, 2020 1:32 AM in response to Rsturgis

Yes, but in a very specific way - see below.

By a clean install we mean completely erasing the drive and then installing. I have written down a full list of instructions for that, and will post later today since I am not at my mac now.

After doing the clean install and when asked you can elect to import from another mac, or from a Time Machine backup. Then you must choose ONLY the user accounts. Do NOT check applications, settings or other files, or you’d be negating the effects of the clean install.

FCPX crashing immediately.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.