Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 7th gen WiFi low download speed

The wifi speed on my iPad is very slow. It’s been updated to the latest iOS 13.6 and still it’s running very slow. If I do a speed test on my iPad it barely shows 5mbps download speed while my iPhone 8 at the same location kept besides it shows a speed in excess of 50mbps.

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 12:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 2:20 AM

Does your Router utilise an Access Control List (often implemented via a list of Physical MAC Addresses of WiFi Client devices) that restricts access to 2.4GHz or 5GHz radios - or perhaps has QoS features that similarly restrict network bandwidth? If so, this may explain the behaviour that you observe.

If these features are not employed by your WiFi Router, the symptoms that you describe suggest that your Router may have an issue with specific WiFi client devices. If so, this might be easily be resolved by a restart of your router.

To restart you home router, disconnect power - then wait at least 30 seconds before restarting. When you router has rebooted (which may take several minutes), force-restart your iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

A further measure, worth trying, is to reset the Network Settings on your iPad:

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

I hope this guidance proves to be helpful in resolving the problem.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2020 2:20 AM in response to jehangir272

Does your Router utilise an Access Control List (often implemented via a list of Physical MAC Addresses of WiFi Client devices) that restricts access to 2.4GHz or 5GHz radios - or perhaps has QoS features that similarly restrict network bandwidth? If so, this may explain the behaviour that you observe.

If these features are not employed by your WiFi Router, the symptoms that you describe suggest that your Router may have an issue with specific WiFi client devices. If so, this might be easily be resolved by a restart of your router.

To restart you home router, disconnect power - then wait at least 30 seconds before restarting. When you router has rebooted (which may take several minutes), force-restart your iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

A further measure, worth trying, is to reset the Network Settings on your iPad:

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

I hope this guidance proves to be helpful in resolving the problem.

iPad 7th gen WiFi low download speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.