Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi speed is slow on my iPad.

So I’m using 5G on my iPad air 2 and it seems to be running slow. Is it because I’m running the 5G and not the 2.4? Because all of a sudden it’s not moving as fast as it used to.Thanks Mary

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 29, 2022 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2022 10:44 AM

Firstly, just to clarify, iPad Air 2, doesn't have 5g, with regards to Wi-Fi frequencies, it's 2.4GHz and 5GHz. 2.4 has more range, and 5, has higher speed, less range. It might be that your 5GHz signal is being degraded by obstacles, and that's why it is slow, just not degraded enough that you drop off the network. If you switch back to the 2.4 GHz network, and it's working better, then you should stick with that.

Also, in your router settings, you may be able to try changing the channels, you should probably call your ISP for help doing that (as each router will have a different way to do it).

If your router doesn't separate the names for each frequency, it's up to your router to choose what frequency it things is best for your device. For example, for my router, from British Telecom: https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/getting-set-up/home-networks/a-wi-fi-home-network/what-is-the-smart-wireless-feature-in-my-bt-hub-

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2022 10:44 AM in response to Marys1358

Firstly, just to clarify, iPad Air 2, doesn't have 5g, with regards to Wi-Fi frequencies, it's 2.4GHz and 5GHz. 2.4 has more range, and 5, has higher speed, less range. It might be that your 5GHz signal is being degraded by obstacles, and that's why it is slow, just not degraded enough that you drop off the network. If you switch back to the 2.4 GHz network, and it's working better, then you should stick with that.

Also, in your router settings, you may be able to try changing the channels, you should probably call your ISP for help doing that (as each router will have a different way to do it).

If your router doesn't separate the names for each frequency, it's up to your router to choose what frequency it things is best for your device. For example, for my router, from British Telecom: https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/getting-set-up/home-networks/a-wi-fi-home-network/what-is-the-smart-wireless-feature-in-my-bt-hub-

Wi-Fi speed is slow on my iPad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.