Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To get an @icloud.com address, I must create a third-party email address first?

Apologies for sounding thick but I want to set up my dad with an email address when I give him my old iPad 2.

I don't use Apple devices myself anymore so my knowledge in this matter is hazy.

So my objective here is to give him an iPad 2 which he will need an Apple ID to use it and then 'one' email address which will also be his Apple ID to keep things simple.

Therefore and ideally his ID and email address will something like firstname.surname@icloud.com.

However, it seems I must set up a third-party email address just for the purpose of creating an Apple ID and 'then' I get an icloud email address. I'm not sure if I got that right but ultimately can I not have two email addresses created but just one instead?

Thanks very much.

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 3:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 8:47 AM

See the first section of the first article. It explains how to get an iCloud address to use as your Apple ID.

Apple ID - create a new.      

Apple ID – Create        

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 5, 2020 9:11 AM in response to Sprogginz

As long as you sign your AppleID out of all services (iCloud, FaceTime, messages, the app and music stores) and then erase that device, he can simply create an AppleID when setting it up himself. When you create an AppleID during device setup and first sign into iCloud, it will be an @icloud.com address.

If he has an email address already, he can also use that to create an AppleID on Apple’s web site first, and then create an iCloud account using that AppleID when he sets up the device. In that case, the @icloud.com address he creates will simply become a synonymous login ID for that one single AppleID. He can sign into that one single AppleID using either email address.

Aug 5, 2020 10:09 AM in response to Michael Black

Thank you both for your help, issue now resolved.

I was trying to set it all up on my PC and started to get frustrated by not being able to use just one email address, therefore, started this thread in haste!

My Dad now has a cool iCloud email address which is also his ID that must have been overlooked by other users who have the same or similar name.

Isn't it strange how a lot of things get resolved while sitting on the toilet.....contrary to GIGO!

Thanks again.

[Edited by Moderator]

To get an @icloud.com address, I must create a third-party email address first?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.