Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrading iPhone AND do not want the photos to transfer to new phone

Can this be done? I would like to keep the photos on my old phone and have the extra GB storage on my new phone. Is this possible?

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 10:12 AM

That depends on a couple of different things.

If you are backing up with iCloud and you want to restore the backup to the new phone as part of the setup, you cannot exclude the photos from the restore process. When you restore a backup, you restore everything in the backup to the device.

If you are using iCloud Photos which means that you are syncing photos across devices, you can exclude the photos from the new phone by not using iCloud photos on that phone. That means not turning on the switch to use iCloud Photos. Settings>Your Name>iCloud>Apps using iCloud>Photos>On>iCloud Photos>Off.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2020 10:12 AM in response to Bmhindu

That depends on a couple of different things.

If you are backing up with iCloud and you want to restore the backup to the new phone as part of the setup, you cannot exclude the photos from the restore process. When you restore a backup, you restore everything in the backup to the device.

If you are using iCloud Photos which means that you are syncing photos across devices, you can exclude the photos from the new phone by not using iCloud photos on that phone. That means not turning on the switch to use iCloud Photos. Settings>Your Name>iCloud>Apps using iCloud>Photos>On>iCloud Photos>Off.

upgrading iPhone AND do not want the photos to transfer to new phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.