Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airpods Microphone is muffled

I hear fine on my air pods, but the microphone has never worked properly. People say I sound muffled and there is a loud background noise.

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 5:57 PM

I have a similar issue with my airpods pro where if I were to record a voice memo, the first few seconds would be completely muffled (where you cant hear anything at all) and then it would suddenly get louder where the background noise is louder than my voice. I’ve also been told on facetime and on calls that my voice sounds muffled sometimes and usually resetting my airpods works fine but now I keep trying to reset them and nothing is working.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2020 5:57 PM in response to karina184

I have a similar issue with my airpods pro where if I were to record a voice memo, the first few seconds would be completely muffled (where you cant hear anything at all) and then it would suddenly get louder where the background noise is louder than my voice. I’ve also been told on facetime and on calls that my voice sounds muffled sometimes and usually resetting my airpods works fine but now I keep trying to reset them and nothing is working.

Aug 10, 2020 11:07 AM in response to donamarrone

Hey donamarrone,

We understand that you believe there's an issue with the microphone on your AirPods.

Do you currently have your AirPods set to use the microphone automatically or do you have it manually set to either the left or right side? To check, go to Settings > Bluetooth > Tap the info button next to your AirPods.

Also, if you record a voice memo using your AirPods and play it back to yourself, does the audio sound the way you'd expect it to? This will help us better determine if the issue is with the microphone or the connection at the time you're making calls in which your contacts are complaining.

Also, if you continue to have issues with your AirPods, we'd suggest resetting them using the following steps:

Reset your AirPods

Keep us posted on the results of recording in the Voice Memo app and what you find out when checking your settings and we'll move forward from there.

Cheers!

Airpods Microphone is muffled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.