Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods connected but sound comes from iPhone

Lately an issue keeps happening. I put my airpods in my ears and I even hear the connected sound but when I play music it comes from the phone. It doesn't show headphone icon at the top of the screen either. It doesn't show the AirPods in the list of audio options to select. If I reconnect my AirPods from the Bluetooth settings menu I can get the AirPods to show up in the audio selection list but even when I select them, and it shows they're selected, audio still comes from phone. Quit Spotify and reopen - same problem.

Only solution is to reboot my phone each time. Very annoying! Very disappointed...

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 11:44 AM

Hello john-developer,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having trouble with sound coming from your iPhone rather than your AirPods when you have them connected. We’re happy to help.

To start, make sure you’re running the latest iOS version on your iPhone:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If that doesn’t help, try resetting your AirPods using the steps outlined in the article below:

Reset your AirPods - Apple Support

If that doesn’t help, reply and let us know if you only have this issue with Spotify or if it’s with all sounds / apps on your iPhone.

Take care.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2020 11:44 AM in response to john-developer

Hello john-developer,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having trouble with sound coming from your iPhone rather than your AirPods when you have them connected. We’re happy to help.

To start, make sure you’re running the latest iOS version on your iPhone:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If that doesn’t help, try resetting your AirPods using the steps outlined in the article below:

Reset your AirPods - Apple Support

If that doesn’t help, reply and let us know if you only have this issue with Spotify or if it’s with all sounds / apps on your iPhone.

Take care.

AirPods connected but sound comes from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.