Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost files

I recently downgrade my MacBook pro mid 2012 from Catalina to mojave. I done a time machine backup but i cant restore it because the backup file is a inProgress file, is there anyway i can recover the data i had when using Catalina?

MacBook

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 5:56 PM

Quellboss Said:

Lost File: [...] i cant restore it because the backup file is a inProgress file, is there anyway i can recover the data i had when using Catalina?

———-

Tried Migration Assistant?:

If you have any Time Machine Backup(s), of this Mac, from prior to all of this, then you could find out what you have by using Migration Assistant.  So, use migration assistant. Does anything come up?

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2020 5:56 PM in response to Quellboss

Quellboss Said:

Lost File: [...] i cant restore it because the backup file is a inProgress file, is there anyway i can recover the data i had when using Catalina?

———-

Tried Migration Assistant?:

If you have any Time Machine Backup(s), of this Mac, from prior to all of this, then you could find out what you have by using Migration Assistant.  So, use migration assistant. Does anything come up?

Aug 10, 2020 7:51 AM in response to Quellboss

Quellboss Said:

"When i use migrate assistant nothing happens the screen stay on looking for source. I suppose the computer cant find any?"

--------

If you never made a backup, then no, it will not find any.

To get Mojave, what you could do is reinstall it all through a USB Bootable Installer for Mojave, and then finally, reinstall it all it. Note down the applications you had installed, and contact the developer, requesting new installation files.

Aug 10, 2020 1:06 PM in response to Quellboss

If you erase, and then (while still in recovery) choose to reinstall, you should be getting Catalina to download. No idea what you mean with finishing a bacup - you can do one once you have erased and reinstalled the OS. But that will not get you an older backup - only a brand new one. A backup consists only of what is on the computer at the exact time you are making it.

Lost files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.