Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yellow Patches on my iPhone XR

I noticed yellow patches on my screen. At first I thought it might be a software issue. Restored my phone and it's still there so I know for a fact that it's related to the hardware. But I promise I have not dropped my phone, I have no idea why this has happened. It wasn't something that grew over time but rather abrupt.

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 4:58 AM

I’m unable to visit the service centre due to the pandemic as well.

I did some research and found images of iPhones in a condition that look similar to what we’re dealing with.

It says if you bought an iPhone right after the launch, you may see yellow patches because the glue under the screen has not dried up yet. But it will get better after a few days.

I know this case is nowhere near to ours since we’ve already used it for over a year but the issue could be something related to the glue maybe because the images were very identical.

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2020 4:58 AM in response to arijitearth

I’m unable to visit the service centre due to the pandemic as well.

I did some research and found images of iPhones in a condition that look similar to what we’re dealing with.

It says if you bought an iPhone right after the launch, you may see yellow patches because the glue under the screen has not dried up yet. But it will get better after a few days.

I know this case is nowhere near to ours since we’ve already used it for over a year but the issue could be something related to the glue maybe because the images were very identical.

Aug 10, 2020 2:20 PM in response to amk98

Hi amk98,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand you're noticing dark patches around the display of your iPhone.

It's important to have a fully functional display on your iPhone, and we'd like to help.

You mentioned restoring your iPhone. Just to be sure, did you restore it to factory settings by using a computer: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Also, do you have a screen protector on your iPhone? If so, you'll want to remove it and see if that helps.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind regards.

Sep 10, 2020 7:43 AM in response to amk98

For this kind of issue, it would be best to bring your phone to the nearest Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to

get it checked. Book an appointment on getsupport.apple.com or use the Apple Support app. If there are no available appointments, it would be best to call the store directly to book an appointment.

If your phone is still under warranty & no damages, then it will be covered by Apple otherwise if it's out of warranty then there may be costs to fix it but that will depend with the technician. You can check this for pricing: iPhone Screen Repair

Aug 24, 2020 5:49 AM in response to amk98

I have visited the apple care centre 2days back and submitted my device. At first look executive was suspecting some liquid damage and inform me that it needs to be opened to chk for liquid damage. After opening they found no evidence of liquid damage. Then he registered the case under warranty as “patches on display” And inform me that it will take 10 working days to service because of current lockdown. He inform that display needs to be changed. Let’s see when I will get my handset back.

I suggest to go to those service centre where one day screen replacement facility is there. I went to my nearby apple store but now regret that if I directly went to little far from my home then I may get my phone back same day.

anyway keeping my finger crossed.

Sep 10, 2020 2:27 AM in response to anksh8

My phone is still with apple service centre. Almost 20days now as they are facing difficulties in acquiring the display from apple because of ongoing restrictions. They managed to get a display but it was not working so again reordered. I deliberated with Apple many times but their support is also not upto the mark. They were unable to provide me any quick response and solution to this problem. Talked to senior Advisor but only assurance I got but no quick Tangible solution. Lets hope to get my device back with everything working and in good shape

Sep 17, 2020 10:39 PM in response to heti96

So I showed my phone yesterday at the service centre. As there was no physical or liquid damage they will be replacing the display for free under warranty. They even told me that some display issue is going on with the XR and currently the display is out of stock. They told me that they will call me when the display is available and will replace it in 2 hours time as they have same day screen replacement option there.

Sep 20, 2020 6:51 AM in response to harjyot_s

Yesterday I finally received my phone from service centre. It took almost one month to change a display!!! I follow up with both service centre and apple support and had to escalate the delay issue otherwise it would take more time. Apple support acknowledged the delay is partly because of current restriction and shortage of supply. Anyway now phone is working fine. As i have apple care so not a single penny needed for the repair.

only visit store where single day screen replacement guarantee is there. Register you case and wait for display to come and then go their to get it done, otherwise if you submit your device then it might take long time to repair and unnecessary headaches.

Sep 22, 2020 5:59 PM in response to amk98

To all who have yellow patches in screen and out of warranty,there’s a easy fix which help to remove the yellow patch in top of my phone.i used some ice on yellow patch area in my phone about 1 minute and immediately I noticed a reduced fainting yellow then I decided to leave it alone and now after 5 hours barely I can see the yellow patch,seems it slowly disappearing...just give it a try may work or not on yours but hey you got nothing to loss...

Yellow Patches on my iPhone XR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.