Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Fix iPhone DCIM Fold­er Not Show­ing Pho­tos (or Emp­ty) on Win­dows 10

my iphone 8 photos folder is empty on windows 10 when i'm trying to copy photos.

the iphone storage is almost full.

when I connect my old iphone 6s i can see the photos.

I have tried all the suggested fixes.

More than this, I used the Quick Start feature to copy the Iphone8 to a new Iphone 11 pro and still the folder is empty.

It seems as one of the settings is the problem.

Can anybody help?

iPhone 8

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 10:43 PM

Hi Leanne,

I want to add more facts to what I have already done:

1. The title does not reflects the actual phenomenon. I can't see the internal memory icon on the folder of the PC and of course also its content the DCIM folder. it is completely empty.
  2. When I connect my old 6s max 64G I can see all the photos.
  3. I bought a new Iphone 11 pro 256G and used "Quick Start" in order to copy the Iphone 8 to it. So now they have the same content and configuration. I still can't see the photos.
  4. I updated iTunes, USB drivers. No response.
  5. I tried another PC. Another cable. Nothing.
  6. I tried a different phone 11 pro max. no response.
  7. I called apple support and we discussed this issue for hours while they are connected remotely to my computer. No success. they opened a case.

As I have already pointed out - I'm stuck.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2020 10:43 PM in response to Leanne_68

Hi Leanne,

I want to add more facts to what I have already done:

1. The title does not reflects the actual phenomenon. I can't see the internal memory icon on the folder of the PC and of course also its content the DCIM folder. it is completely empty.
  2. When I connect my old 6s max 64G I can see all the photos.
  3. I bought a new Iphone 11 pro 256G and used "Quick Start" in order to copy the Iphone 8 to it. So now they have the same content and configuration. I still can't see the photos.
  4. I updated iTunes, USB drivers. No response.
  5. I tried another PC. Another cable. Nothing.
  6. I tried a different phone 11 pro max. no response.
  7. I called apple support and we discussed this issue for hours while they are connected remotely to my computer. No success. they opened a case.

As I have already pointed out - I'm stuck.

Aug 10, 2020 8:18 PM in response to Leanne_68

Hi leanne,

thanks for the answer.

unfortunately this is not helping.

The phone is set to icloud off. I’m using the internal memory of the phone to store photos.

If i open iTunes i can actually see the amount of storage used for the photos and it is now over 200G. The phone memory os 256G. It warns me all the time that I exceeded the maximum available memory. On the other hand when i check the content of icloud i can see some photos and the memory is not full.

I’m still stuck.

Any ideas?

Aug 10, 2020 5:00 PM in response to nimrodsadan

Hi nimrodsadan,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you are trying to transfer your images from your iPhone 8 to your Windows PC. Are these images originating from the iPhone? Be sure to follow the guide to Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

You may not see images in the DCIM folder because your iPhone 8 may not be the source of the original images. You may want to Download iCloud for Windows. This will help manage your iCloud Photos on your PC. For information on this, please review this document: Set up and use iCloud for Windows.

Additionally, there are some suggestions and instructions to manage your storage. You'll see his information here: How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

Stay awesome!

Aug 13, 2020 2:45 PM in response to nimrodsadan

Good day nimrodsadan,

Thanks for the additional information.

If you're not using iCloud Photos, the next likely option of photo management would be a Windows native photos app. If the images are on your iPhone and Windows recognize that iPhone as a camera, it may create the folder and export them from iPhone 11. Even if you have transferred the data, Windows may still see your iPhone 11 as a new device, and it's possible it will need to be configured for how it's used in Windows.

While you may be looking for familiar folders, it is also not impossible for the file management to change. If the steps under "Import to your PC" don't work on Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, check the link on that document for Microsoft to make sure Windows does not have a specific or alternate method.

If you have a case opened up for you, it's likely open for you until a resolution is found. You'll want to continue with the case number you have, and you may be able to continue service where you are when you Contact Apple Support.

Best wishes!

How to Fix iPhone DCIM Fold­er Not Show­ing Pho­tos (or Emp­ty) on Win­dows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.