Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

turn off the 'recents' folder

Hello community,

I turned off the 'recent' folder from the finder with the help of system preferences which is set to 'none' right now.

But, I still can search the 'recents' folder with the help of 'search my Mac'.

How do I turn off/change the setting for 'recents' folder to go away completely from my Mac.

I have too much sensitive information to deal with.

I am on OSCatalina.

Regards.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 10:05 AM

Select your Hard drive, type an asterisk in the search field, then select This Mac in the Search: option. The, click the Date Modified column.

You will see that anybody with access to your Mac can easily find everything on your Mac without "Recents."

If you want to turn off "Recents," you need to disable Spotlight. I don't know how to do that.

If you have sensitive information on your Mac, you shouldn't let anyone else use it.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2020 10:05 AM in response to raorush

Select your Hard drive, type an asterisk in the search field, then select This Mac in the Search: option. The, click the Date Modified column.

You will see that anybody with access to your Mac can easily find everything on your Mac without "Recents."

If you want to turn off "Recents," you need to disable Spotlight. I don't know how to do that.

If you have sensitive information on your Mac, you shouldn't let anyone else use it.

turn off the 'recents' folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.