Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2018 13" - Connect to three monitors?

I have connected my MacBook Pro 2018 13" to three monitors but display comes to only two monitors at a time.

The description on Apple's page shows that only two displays are allowed. Is there an external dock which can be used to use three monitors with extended displays?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 3:40 PM

No. You can support the internal and two simultaneous external displays at up to 4K. At best, you could find a splitter to mirror one, but you cannot run three separate displays. Well, not well – there are USB-driven display options but they work only with low resolutions, slow refresh and are very laggy.

if you require three external displays, you need a recent model 15”/16” MacBook Pro. For example, my mid-2017 15” and my new 16” both support up to four external displays.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2020 3:40 PM in response to vikas027

No. You can support the internal and two simultaneous external displays at up to 4K. At best, you could find a splitter to mirror one, but you cannot run three separate displays. Well, not well – there are USB-driven display options but they work only with low resolutions, slow refresh and are very laggy.

if you require three external displays, you need a recent model 15”/16” MacBook Pro. For example, my mid-2017 15” and my new 16” both support up to four external displays.

Aug 10, 2020 4:26 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

When Apple says it supports a display, they are providing an accelerated Hardware interface to re-draw that screen 60 times a second. It will not be ANY of those pejorative words. The mouse will track perfectly. It will be visually excellent.

OP is asking about adding third display, to a Mac that only supports two. From my experience, adding an extra unsupported display through a USB ‘external graphics’ solution deserves lots of pejorative words.

MacBook Pro 2018 13" - Connect to three monitors?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.