Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems connecting iMac to Synology NAS

I have a Synology DS218+ and an iMac, both connected to a Netgear passive Ethernet switch.

Two problems:

--The last several days, the Mac has frequently disconnected from the NAS, automatically ejecting it from the Finder for no apparent reason. I switched from AFP to SMB for connecting (disabling AFP on the NAS and clearing recent servers from the "Connect to Server" window in the mac Finder).

At first that seemed to resolve the problem, but it continues. It just happened again as I've been writing this.

--In my Login Items, I've added two folders from the NAS drive, which appear as separate volumes.

At some point, the Mac loses track of them, and a yellow triangle appears next to them in the Login Items list.

If I re-connect to those folders via the Finder ("Connect to Server"), the triangle remains.

After disabling AFP on the NAS, I removed the folders from the login items and added them back, just in case the connection method matters.

I have no problems connecting to the NAS (and staying connected) through a web brower on the Mac, or through Synology's iOS apps DS Audio and DS File running in the latest iOS 13 on a 2017 iPad Pro. This suggests the issue could be with macOS, though I can't rule out issues with the NAS's OS.

Troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks!

mac OS 10.14.6, 2017 iMac

Synology DS218+, running the latest DSM

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 10:59 AM

I did.

On the NAS, the Maximum and Minimum SMB version allowed were both set to 1. Synology recommended changing the Maximum to 3 and Minimum to 2. (Control Panel > File Services > SMB/AFP/NFS > SMB > Advanced Settings)

I did this, but then my Sonos speakers couldn't access the iTunes library on my NAS. Changing the Minimum back to SMB 1 resolved this.

I also learned, via web search, that you can check which SMB version your Mac is using via this Terminal command:

smbutil statshares -a

I verified that my Macs are now using SMB 3.02 to connect to the NAS.

It appears the Macs are automatically using the maximum SMB version available on the network device. (Lowering the Minimum on the NAS did not change the way the Macs connected.)

Connection issues appear to be resolved. If I recall correctly, it took a while (and maybe a few restarts) to sort this out, but the situation appears to have stabilized.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2020 10:59 AM in response to a brody

I did.

On the NAS, the Maximum and Minimum SMB version allowed were both set to 1. Synology recommended changing the Maximum to 3 and Minimum to 2. (Control Panel > File Services > SMB/AFP/NFS > SMB > Advanced Settings)

I did this, but then my Sonos speakers couldn't access the iTunes library on my NAS. Changing the Minimum back to SMB 1 resolved this.

I also learned, via web search, that you can check which SMB version your Mac is using via this Terminal command:

smbutil statshares -a

I verified that my Macs are now using SMB 3.02 to connect to the NAS.

It appears the Macs are automatically using the maximum SMB version available on the network device. (Lowering the Minimum on the NAS did not change the way the Macs connected.)

Connection issues appear to be resolved. If I recall correctly, it took a while (and maybe a few restarts) to sort this out, but the situation appears to have stabilized.

Problems connecting iMac to Synology NAS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.