Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My new MacBook has a different plug than all my other Apple products. And NO USB port to transfer data. Is this a problem or should I send it back? I am VERY technologically challenged.

My new MacBook has a different plug than all my other Apple products. And NO USB port to transfer data. I am VERY technologically challenged, so help wanted, please.

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 6:40 AM

Thunderbolt 3 is equivalent to USB-C, so your Mac does have USB ports, just the newer version of the connector (as opposed to USB-A which is what you're used to, and USB-B which is the square-ish one often found on printers). A USB-C-to-A adapter will allow you to connect USB-A devices (like the cable for iPads/iPhones) to your Mac. There is also a USB-C-to-Lighntning cable that would connect directly.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2020 6:40 AM in response to jeanip

Thunderbolt 3 is equivalent to USB-C, so your Mac does have USB ports, just the newer version of the connector (as opposed to USB-A which is what you're used to, and USB-B which is the square-ish one often found on printers). A USB-C-to-A adapter will allow you to connect USB-A devices (like the cable for iPads/iPhones) to your Mac. There is also a USB-C-to-Lighntning cable that would connect directly.

Aug 10, 2020 6:11 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

It is a 2019 MacBook Pro (macOS Catalina 10.15.6) with Two Thunderbolt 3 ports. I have had to order a USB port adapter and I'm hoping that works. I'm going from an iPad Air to this laptop and also trying to figure out how to transfer data from one to the other. This has been nothing short of a nightmare. I have all Apple products (iPod, iPad, iPhone) or I would have gone to a PC

Thanks for your reply/

My new MacBook has a different plug than all my other Apple products. And NO USB port to transfer data. Is this a problem or should I send it back? I am VERY technologically challenged.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.