Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Mini 5 odd charging behavior

Hello.

My iPad Mini 5 256GB acts weirdly every time I charge it: whenever I connect it to a socket to charge, it takes a few seconds (from 2 to 5) before the charge is detected and the iPad starts charging; it’s not a flaw of the charger, because I tried three different chargers and the behavior was the same with each one; it’s not the socket either, I tried two different ones and again the behaviour repeated every time - and I’m not the only one to have experienced this, I read of others whose iPad Mini 5s act the same way when charged.

None of my other iPads has ever behaved this way.

Does this behavior means my iPad Mini’s battery is faulty? Or is there another (possibly more comforting) explanation?

Thank you so much in advance for the help; cheers, and stay safe.

iPad mini 5 Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 4:08 AM

If you contact Apple Support, you should be able to request a remote battery diagnostic test. This will hopefully provide the reassurance that you seek.

To contact Apple Support directly, you’ll find the Contact Support link at top-right of this page - or alternatively you can initiate a support call using the Apple Support App;

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2020 4:08 AM in response to a.gandi

If you contact Apple Support, you should be able to request a remote battery diagnostic test. This will hopefully provide the reassurance that you seek.

To contact Apple Support directly, you’ll find the Contact Support link at top-right of this page - or alternatively you can initiate a support call using the Apple Support App;

Aug 9, 2020 3:13 PM in response to a.gandi

I’m unable to tell you why - only that the benign behaviour that you describe is not unusual or detrimental to performance. If your iPad starts to charge within a few seconds - and successfully completes its charge - than nothing untoward is happening.

If you remain concerned that you have a problem, or a worried that your battery has a fault, you have two options:

1) Contact Apple Support directly; you’ll find to Contact Support link at top-right of this page - or alternatively you can initiate a support case using the Apple Support App;

2) Visit your local Apple Store - at which the technicians at the Genius Bar will be delighted to provide help.

Aug 9, 2020 2:01 PM in response to a.gandi

In all likelihood, the charge controller in your iPad is just doing its job. Your iPad, in common with other recent iPad models, supports the USB-PD charging standard.

The charge controller may simply be running through its normal routine - waiting for a communication handshake with the Power Adapter. If charging is subsequently established, you should have no cause for concern. I have seen the described behaviour across multiple iPad models - with no ill effect.

Aug 9, 2020 2:09 PM in response to LotusPilot

Then why doesn’t the iPad Pro 2020 that I bought exactly three months later afer the iPad Mini behaves the same way? Whenever I charge the iPad Pro, the charge gets instantly detected without any second of wait....and the same goes for my boyfriend’s mom’s iPad Mini 5 - which is a 64Gb though, not a 256Gb like mine.

Aug 9, 2020 7:02 PM in response to LotusPilot

You’re right: it’s not like the iPad doesn’t charge or doesn’t hold it; it does charge, completely too, but since no iPad I’ve had has ever acted like that I got a bit panicky.

I don’t live near an Apple Store, so I can only contact Apple Support....and I’ll do that in the morning, just to have a final confirmation that it’s not a battery issue (and I don’t need to buy a new iPad Mini).

Thank you for your help. :)

Aug 10, 2020 5:47 AM in response to LotusPilot

I chatted with Apple Support. They did the battery diagnostic test, that showed the battery is ok....which means those seconds of wait are not a symptom of a real problem (that was my fear) and I can keep using my iPad Mini - and above all I don’t need to bring it in for repairs or buy a new one....yayyyy!!!!!! Sorry for that, but I feel quite relieved. ahahahah

iPad Mini 5 odd charging behavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.