Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Mini 5 not charging right away.

Hello all, just looking for some assistance with my iPad Mini 5.

This is my first ever Apple device so I need to know if this is normal or not:

When I plug in the charger for my iPad, it does not start charging right away, meaning sometimes it takes about 20 seconds for the charging indicator to show or sometimes 5 seconds... but its never instant.

This iPad is brand new I just received it a few days ago so its not like it got damaged or anything, I've already checked the charging port for fabric and things but its clean.

Are Apple devices really like this? Or could it be mine that is faulty? Its running iOS 13.6 if that helps.

Thanks all.

iPad mini, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 7:26 AM

Update your iPad to iPadOS 13.6.1 (this being the current version).

Whilst it may take few seconds for charging to begin, possibly on occasion taking a few tens of seconds before the chime will be heard, it is perhaps unusual for this to be observed on every charging connection.

Have you attempted substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for “known good” examples of both? This may be helpful in localising a problem - if one exists.

If you iPad is otherwise behaving normally, I’d not be too worried. In case you wish to look further, these support pages might be helpful in troubleshooting any charging issues:

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

Fast charge your iPhone and iPad – Apple Support

I hope this information and guidance proves to be helpful.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2020 7:26 AM in response to Shane96R

Update your iPad to iPadOS 13.6.1 (this being the current version).

Whilst it may take few seconds for charging to begin, possibly on occasion taking a few tens of seconds before the chime will be heard, it is perhaps unusual for this to be observed on every charging connection.

Have you attempted substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for “known good” examples of both? This may be helpful in localising a problem - if one exists.

If you iPad is otherwise behaving normally, I’d not be too worried. In case you wish to look further, these support pages might be helpful in troubleshooting any charging issues:

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

Fast charge your iPhone and iPad – Apple Support

I hope this information and guidance proves to be helpful.

Aug 19, 2020 1:01 PM in response to LotusPilot

Hi,

Thank you for informing me about the update, I have updated the iPad however the problem(?) Still persists.

It might seem unusual to make sure the device is charging upon inserting the cable, however its the first thing I noticed. My other devices (Android phones) will begin charging instantly.

I just don't know what to do. Does your Apple devices behave the same way?

I have tried a different main charger & cable also but its still the same.

I would greatly appreciate further assistance.

Thank you.

Regards

iPad Mini 5 not charging right away.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.