Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Storage

Hello. Recently my phone has run out of storage. I just bought more icloud storage (50GB), but it is still not letting me take any photos on my phone, they will not save. Even whenever i delete photos off of my phone they will not actually delete. I have tried restarting my phone, deleting apps, everything!! However, none of my photos will delete in order for me to free up storage. I am also frustrated because I thought that buying more icloud storage would clear up some space for photos but nothing will work.

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 1:45 AM

The only way to remove the erroneous  Other and sort this mess out is to Backup, Restore to factory settings then restore from backup  

It is not a trivial process.

Here is a guide for those steps:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184

If the Other is massive this is a new unexplained phenomenon where deleting media does not free up space (we think.)

You can:

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support 

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2020 1:45 AM in response to dylin209

The only way to remove the erroneous  Other and sort this mess out is to Backup, Restore to factory settings then restore from backup  

It is not a trivial process.

Here is a guide for those steps:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184

If the Other is massive this is a new unexplained phenomenon where deleting media does not free up space (we think.)

You can:

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support 

Aug 10, 2020 3:46 PM in response to dylin209

The photos could be imported into Photos on a Mac (or equivalent in itunes on s PC) Selecting delete after import should free them.

If you delete them on the phone you need to delete them from the Recently Deleted album

Settings, General, iphone storage may have an option for that too.

St the bottom of that page the Other should only be a couple of GB. I just wondered if Other was growing to tens of GB

Aug 10, 2020 3:34 PM in response to LD150

I’m not sure. Whenever I go into storage there is a place that says other and it is taking up some space. However, I have some some storage remaining (about 3GB). I just do not understand why I cannot delete any photos off of my phone. Even when I do, they just come right back the next time i open my photos.

Aug 10, 2020 6:40 PM in response to LD150

Thank you! I will try importing them to my PC. However, it’s very tricky with the deleting of the photos. I know that they need to also be deleted in recently deleted but whenever I delete them, they do not show up on recently deleted. Once I leave the photo app and then go back into it, the photo is once again there.

iPhone Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.