Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I Pad Update -storage

I updated my IPAD to latest software, 1st week of August 2020- I have never had problems with storage, or any of my apps working. Now my Books app will not stay open, I have had to delete almost all of my apps off my iPad and it still shows no storage --- I have the plan that I pay extra for more storage in the cloud, why did this update screw up my storage and how can I get it back to the way it was for before the update.

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 12:27 PM

IPADupdateAug2020:

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It appears that you are experiencing an all too common Local Storage space issue.

First, please note that Local (device) Storage is independent of iCloud Storage («more storage in the cloud»), even though there are ways to use iCloud Storage to “offload” some data that would, otherwise, take up Local (device) Storage.

So, how much Local (device) Storage came with your iPad? (Is that the iPad 2, running iOS 9? Or some more recent iPad?)

(The people that are having the most difficulties are those with devices containing only 16 GB of Local [device] Storage. This is simply too little for modern software.)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2020 12:27 PM in response to IPADupdateAug2020

IPADupdateAug2020:

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It appears that you are experiencing an all too common Local Storage space issue.

First, please note that Local (device) Storage is independent of iCloud Storage («more storage in the cloud»), even though there are ways to use iCloud Storage to “offload” some data that would, otherwise, take up Local (device) Storage.

So, how much Local (device) Storage came with your iPad? (Is that the iPad 2, running iOS 9? Or some more recent iPad?)

(The people that are having the most difficulties are those with devices containing only 16 GB of Local [device] Storage. This is simply too little for modern software.)

Aug 10, 2020 2:05 PM in response to IPADupdateAug2020

The simplest way to resolve this is to back up your iPad and restore it from the back up.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

The storage you pay for in iCloud is for syncing and back ups. It's not directly related to your local storage.

Aug 10, 2020 6:39 PM in response to IPADupdateAug2020

iCloud storage is a supplemental, secondary, online, offsite pseudo data storage and data sync-ing and data backup service.

iCloud does NOT magically give your iPad more internal data storage.

Any iOS device has an internal flash memory data storage drive of a fixed amount that cannot never, EVER be increased!

If you need additional internal iPad data storage there are ONLY two things to do.

Purchase a larger data storage capacity iPad OR backup, then remove stuff off of your existing iPad.

What iPad model/kind do you own?

What is the “A” model number of your iPad?

The “A” model number of your iPad can be found on the lower area of the aluminium back of your iPad in small print letters right underneath the large, bold printed” iPad”.

What iOS/iPadOS is it currently running?

What is this iPad's rated internal storage capacity and how much internal data storage space does this iPad have left?

I Pad Update -storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.