Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrading to macOS Catalina 10.15.6, the performance has become extremely slow

I have i-mac Pro 27 Inch Retina 5K (Late 2014 model).

The computer performance was extremely good.

However, after upgrading to mac OS Catalina 10.15.6, the performance has become extremely slow.

Even opening an app, system preferences, Shutting down and restarting take enormous amount of time (in terms of minutes).

Is there a fix to this problem?

Thank you.

Posted on Aug 4, 2020 11:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 7:35 AM

Two suggestions. Try reinstalling the OS to see if that helps. If it still does beachballs after doing that, consider adding more RAM as I suggested earlier.

Do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart). Run Disk Utility and select First Aid. Then re-install the OS.

Reinstall from macOS Recovery.    

OS X Recovery.    

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2020 7:35 AM in response to Sachinys

Two suggestions. Try reinstalling the OS to see if that helps. If it still does beachballs after doing that, consider adding more RAM as I suggested earlier.

Do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart). Run Disk Utility and select First Aid. Then re-install the OS.

Reinstall from macOS Recovery.    

OS X Recovery.    

Aug 5, 2020 6:16 AM in response to Sachinys

You are welcome. Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account    

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Aug 6, 2020 9:52 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks a lot, and apology for late response.

Here are my observations:

1) I am not running any anti - virus programs

2) I am not Using a VPN.

3) The problem persists in other accounts as well: both admin and standard user

4) In safe mode, performance is nearly the same (slow), but a little better than normal boot.

5) I am attaching the report after running EtreCheck.

Aug 6, 2020 10:17 AM in response to Sachinys

You might want to add some more RAM since you only have 8 GB. The report shows only 66 MB of free RAM.

Virtual Memory Information:

Physical RAM: 8 GB

Free RAM: 66 MB

Used RAM: 4.78 GB

Cached files: 3.16 GB

Available RAM: 3.22 GB

The 2 places I’ve seen recommended most to buy reliable RAM are below. I have purchased RAM several times, a MacBook Pro battery, and 2 hard drives from Other World Computing and have always been very satisfied with the product and service. They have on-line instructions on how to replace the RAM. OWC has also tested RAM above what Apple states is the maximum. I had 6GB installed on an early 2008 iMac supposedly limited to 4 GB and noticed an improvement.

Crucial

Other World Computing  

After upgrading to macOS Catalina 10.15.6, the performance has become extremely slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.