Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I get an explanation point when opening a photo

Why do I get an explanation point when opening a photo on my laptop? And how do i fix it

iMac Pro

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 8:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 11:49 PM

The exclamation point means that Photos cannot find the original file.

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and Photos copies files into the Photos  Library when Importing. The files are then stored within the Library package

A Referenced Library is when Photos is NOT copying the files into the Photos Library when importing because you made a change at Photo -> Preferences -> General. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2020 11:49 PM in response to rosedave

The exclamation point means that Photos cannot find the original file.

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and Photos copies files into the Photos  Library when Importing. The files are then stored within the Library package

A Referenced Library is when Photos is NOT copying the files into the Photos Library when importing because you made a change at Photo -> Preferences -> General. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

Why do I get an explanation point when opening a photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.