Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone Xs can't sync with iMac (Catalina)

Ok, I've seen similar questions asked a lot, but haven't found an answer that helps. (I've called Apple Support, too.) Using iPhone xs (iOS 13.6) & iMac with Catalina 10.15.6). Since Catalina, every time I try to sync my purchased and downloaded music from my library with my iPhone, when I connect them the "charging" icon on the iPhone flashes on/off. Even if it stays on, the iPhone doesn't show continuously (if it shows at all) in the finder window->locations. It might show for a moment or two then disappears, so the iPhone can't sync. When I go under iMac's system information, regardless of whether or not the iPhone is showing in the finder window, it shows under USB devices.

I've tried switching cables and USB ports--no difference. However, those same cables and ports are able to sync an older iPad. The iPhone charges fine into a wall or portable charger using the same cables, so I assume that the iPhone connecting port is fine.

I've used disk first aid--no change; I've even reinstalled the Mac OS at the suggestion of Support--this didn't fix the issue. As I've said, I've seen the question asked a lot here and elsewhere and not found a fix that helps. I've got to assume that it has something to do with Catalina and or iOS 13.x because it used to sync fine pre-Catalina.

Thoughts?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 9:05 AM

So, just in case others are having this same issue, another call to Apple support seems to have fixed it!👍 After reviewing all that I’ve tried i first unplugged all usb connections, then reset the SMC (shutdown, unplug power cord for about 15 secs.). When I restarted, we did a reset of the PRAM (keeping usb devices unplugged). When the restart completed, the iPhone synced without any issues. To check, I made changes to playlists, added music and it synced again with no issues.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2020 9:05 AM in response to Rob Westle

So, just in case others are having this same issue, another call to Apple support seems to have fixed it!👍 After reviewing all that I’ve tried i first unplugged all usb connections, then reset the SMC (shutdown, unplug power cord for about 15 secs.). When I restarted, we did a reset of the PRAM (keeping usb devices unplugged). When the restart completed, the iPhone synced without any issues. To check, I made changes to playlists, added music and it synced again with no issues.

Iphone Xs can't sync with iMac (Catalina)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.