Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Bookmarks

Hi all,

Running latest version of Catalina and Safari.

I installed Catalina from scratch, and imported bookmarks from High Sierra. The import was successful, but now I have to click on Bookmarks in the main menu bar, then go down to the Imported folder and click on the right-facing arrow to see my bookmarks. I want to be able to click on Bookmarks in the main menu bar and see all my bookmarks without having to go to the Imported folder.

I've looked in Edit Bookmarks and can't see any way to do it there.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 3:28 PM

Try Show Bookmarks instead. That may provide a more intuitive way of viewing bookmarks that you may find easier to organize by dragging and dropping.

Another thought depending on your personal preference is to open the Safari Bookmarks file with a plain text editor and edit it. Its organizational structure ought to be apparent. Make a copy first.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2020 3:28 PM in response to tjk

Try Show Bookmarks instead. That may provide a more intuitive way of viewing bookmarks that you may find easier to organize by dragging and dropping.

Another thought depending on your personal preference is to open the Safari Bookmarks file with a plain text editor and edit it. Its organizational structure ought to be apparent. Make a copy first.

Aug 12, 2020 5:23 PM in response to tjk

Here's an illustration you may find helpful.

My Show Bookmarks looks like this:

That's all there is. I surmise yours is a lot more complicated. I just happen to have all my stuff organized under Favorites so I can see it in the Favorites Bar, but it doesn't matter what I do. You want all your bookmarks to reside in the Bookmarks menu.

If you click the "reveal triangle" for Mac (for example) what I see is this:

As you can see I haven't updated in it ages and most of those bookmarks are probably outdated anyway. I'm purging the Mac folder right after I post this reply.

In your case select everything you want that happens to be buried at least one level too deep for your needs, and drag it to a higher level, or the highest level.

Aug 12, 2020 5:01 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks for the input. Already tried both but neither suits my taste. I may spend awhile someday opening each bookmark and then bookmarking it so it resides in the Bookmarks menu. I can't believe what I'm trying to do isn't possible, but it seems as though there are a number of things that just can't be done with a fresh install of Catalina (I just tried importing playlists in Music, and from what I can tell, there's no way of doing that either.)

Aug 12, 2020 5:10 PM in response to tjk

It's certainly possible, I just don't know of a better way of altering its organizational structure.

What you want to do is pretty simple: grab everything you want and move it as a group. To select a bookmark without opening it, hold a ⌘ key while selecting it. You can a continuous selection in the usual manner with a ⇧ key, or a discontinuous selection in the usual manner too. Once you select all the bookmarks you want (they'll be highlighted in grey) drag them to the top level, Favorites... etc.

If there's a better way of doing it I can't think of one.

Safari Bookmarks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.