Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID not available

I have an IPhone X and I have had it for more than a year. Recently my Face ID has not been working, I went to settings - Face ID & passcodes. All my Face ID options were turned off and I went to Face ID set up. I tapped on the “Get started” bar and it said “Face ID is not available try again later“. However I waited and still not available. I even changed my camera settings and still nothing worked.

I looked at how to fix it on online and still didn’t fix the problem.

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 1:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 6:27 AM

Add an alternate appearance

For most users, Face ID will continuously learn as they change. If you have an appearance that can look vastly different, you can set up an alternate appearance so Face ID still recognizes you. You can't create a new appearance if you're wearing a face mask.

To set up an alternate appearance:

1. Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode. If asked, enter your passcode.
  2. Tap Set Up an Alternate Appearance.
  3. Look straight into your iPhone or iPad and place your face inside the frame.
  4. Gently move your head to complete the circle. If you're unable to move your head, tap Accessibility Options.
  5. When you finish the first Face ID scan, tap Continue.
  6. Gently move your head to complete the circle for a second time.
  7. When Face ID setup is complete, tap Done.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2020 6:27 AM in response to campbell95

Add an alternate appearance

For most users, Face ID will continuously learn as they change. If you have an appearance that can look vastly different, you can set up an alternate appearance so Face ID still recognizes you. You can't create a new appearance if you're wearing a face mask.

To set up an alternate appearance:

1. Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode. If asked, enter your passcode.
  2. Tap Set Up an Alternate Appearance.
  3. Look straight into your iPhone or iPad and place your face inside the frame.
  4. Gently move your head to complete the circle. If you're unable to move your head, tap Accessibility Options.
  5. When you finish the first Face ID scan, tap Continue.
  6. Gently move your head to complete the circle for a second time.
  7. When Face ID setup is complete, tap Done.

Face ID not available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.