Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAC OS Catalina Crashes Every Day: "Accountsd wants to use the login keychain" "this mac can't connect to icloud because of a problem with"

Mac OS regularly crashes over the past month, July 2020.

Noticed that before crashing some of the programs quit unexpectedly with absolutely no window / message — they just simply disappear and that's it. After that a windows with messages mentioned below appear:

accountsd wants to use the "login" keychain

Then, without fail, the following message:

This Mac can't connect to iCloud because of a problem with "my iCloud id":

Typing a password in the lines above gives no result

Next I get the message: "iCloud Drive may not work properly. Please check the iCloud preference pane. Couldn't communicate with a helper application." There is a button "OK" and "Open Apple ID Preferences...." No matter which I push, nothing happens.

Next I get the message: "Unapproved caller. SecurityAgent may only be invoked by Apple software." with an "OK" button.

After that Finder relaunches and, in case having some open windows collapsed in Dock, their number doubles. After that nothing could be done — no program opens, menu line doesn't respond, no switching between the programs, even restart doesn't work — only pressing and holding the power button to restart my Mac helps to recover it.

I suspect this maybe related to my use of Microsoft One Drive, because the behavior first started around the time I first used the One Drive app for the first time. But I might be misremembering.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 9:10 PM

If your Mac keeps asking for your keychain password

Your keychain may be locked automatically if your computer has been inactive for a period of time or your user password and keychain password are out of sync.You can set a length of time that Keychain Access waits before automatically requiring you to enter your password again.

1. In the Keychain Access app  on your Mac, click “login” in the Keychains list.
  2. Choose Edit > Change Settings for Keychain “login.”
  3. Select the “Lock after” checkbox, then enter a number of minutes.
  4. If you want to require a password each time the computer goes to sleep, select the “Lock when sleeping” checkbox.
  5. Click Save.

Similar questions

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2020 9:10 PM in response to Polish Phantom

If your Mac keeps asking for your keychain password

Your keychain may be locked automatically if your computer has been inactive for a period of time or your user password and keychain password are out of sync.You can set a length of time that Keychain Access waits before automatically requiring you to enter your password again.

1. In the Keychain Access app  on your Mac, click “login” in the Keychains list.
  2. Choose Edit > Change Settings for Keychain “login.”
  3. Select the “Lock after” checkbox, then enter a number of minutes.
  4. If you want to require a password each time the computer goes to sleep, select the “Lock when sleeping” checkbox.
  5. Click Save.

Aug 13, 2020 10:54 PM in response to Polish Phantom

Wow, sounds like you’ve got a lot going on! Possibly a Keychain issue, but also with some third party software, and maybe Gatekeeper as well.

If you start in safe mode does it make a difference?:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262

As Kappy said if there’s an issue with the local or iCloud Keychain, sometimes it may need to be reset it other methods done work:

Open Keychain Access from Finder > Applications > Utilities.

On the top menu select Keychain Access > Preferences > Reset Default Keychain, and enter the password of your current admin/user account if asked/restart.

Otherwise you’d have to reset it manually, (Note that either way this will erase the stores passwords on your Mac and/or iCloud, so recommend backing up with Time Machine and also disabling iCloud Keychain in System Preferences before hand.

If you’re still having troubles, can you check the Date and Time preferences in System Preferences, just to make sure those, as well as the time zone is set correctly? This might also cause similar issues.

Aug 14, 2020 10:47 AM in response to captaintsubasa

Apple published a "Supplemental Update" to version 10.15.6. Have you installed that? I am going to update and cross my fingers.

By the way, here is someone who had the problem back in 2018. No solution, but he ran a number of reports, for anyone able to decipher them. I can't.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8308370?login=true

Aug 14, 2020 8:10 PM in response to Polish Phantom

Hey again! I’d say if you did a clean install WITHOUT migrating the data, setting it up as new, creating a user and then enabling iCloud Keychain wouldn’t cause a problem at all, you might just have to enter your old Mac password when signing into iCloud that’s all, (The new one can be the same or something totally different, doesn’t matter).

And for sure I’d install any applications carefully just making sure one isn’t causing a problem before installing the next one. Most of the time a clean install will fix any issue, (Unless it’s a hardware issue, or third party conflicts installed), especially if the problem is just re-migrated back onto the new Mac.

Id even make sure to test it after the clean instal to make sure the Mac is working just fine with no data, you can even skip the Apple ID sign in and do that later, but that’s probably unnecessary if setting it up as new.

You can always run hardware diagnostics yourself though to be sure, just start up holding “D” on the keyboard:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

This is a pretty good way to rule out hardware....anyhow good luck! (Resetting the NVRAM is a good, simple, non-invasive step to take as well, like you said earlier for sure worth a try considering some of the symptoms.

Aug 13, 2020 11:12 PM in response to Polish Phantom

I got a new MBP yesterday and ran the migration assistant from my previous MBP. This exact same thing has happened twice to me in the last day. I first saw it occur when coming back to my desk in the morning and unlocking the screensaver. The first oddity was that my finger print wouldn't work. Then entering my password took awhile, i'd type a bit and it would pause. Eventually once I was past the login screen I was presented with most of my applications closed but numerous instances of the icons on the dock. Accountsd wants to use the login keychain message was present that cycled through a few other things asking for access as well. This kept going awhile and eventually everything just stopped responding. Holding the power button down to force a shutdown was the only solution.

One thing I did notice, the wifi symbol was showing it not connected to my network. I've been searching all night for other examples of this happening and your description is nearly exact for what I have been experiencing.

It's pretty frustrating to not be able to leave my MBP on with my apps and documents open only to have to force shutdown in order for it to work :/

Aug 14, 2020 12:21 AM in response to mearlus

Yes, everything that you just described his happened to me as well. The Wi-Fi indicator grading out is a detail that I left out. As you described just this morning I was greeted to a blank screen with the accounts as the warning box in the middle of the screen. last night I had left all my programs running. One of those programs was Microsoft one note, which saves files in my Microsoft One Drive. As I mentioned in my original post, the only change that I can recall making to my computer in about the time all of this started was running the Microsoft one drive app, but also beginning to use Microsoft one note program. For the record, in the past week I have Uninstalled Microsoft office 365, including doing a deep uninstall of the library files, and reinstalling it. Since then I have not opened the Microsoft one drive app, but I have use the Microsoft one note app. I have also deselected and stopped using the iCloud drive. But I continue to get the warning indicated in my original post that the computer cannot connect to iCloud drive.

I am contemplating wiping my iMac and doing a fresh install of the operating system.

Aug 14, 2020 12:32 AM in response to DiZoE

I have booted the computer in safe mode in an attempt to dump caches, which I read somewhere might help. But there’s no sense in running the computer in safe mode because I have no idea when the crash is going to come or what’s causing it. I have no way of replicating a crash.

i’ve read up on creating a new keychain. My question would be if I decide to do a fresh reinstall of the operating system on my iMac and I connected iCloud drive to obtain my passwords from the keychain that’s saved in iCloud will I end up importing the same problem if indeed the problem is in the keychain? I don’t know enough to understand whether the iCloud keychain and my iMac login keychain that is causing the problem are one and the same. Do you know?

Interesting that you mention the date and time. One other strange thing happened yesterday, my display settings changed. I was not using Night Shift, but found that it was turned on and then the color sync program started running and I don’t know why. I stumbled on something about clearing the NVRAM & PRAM and that settings for date and time and display settings are saved there. So I have contemplated clearing them out by restarting and holding command+option +P+R as the post instructed.

I have also contemplated clearing out all of the user cashes and system caches. But to be honest why should I go through all of the steps if a fresh reinstall of the operating system would fix the problem? And because all of my documents photos etc. are stored in iCloud I’m not at risk of losing anything. Maybe just a couple of hours of reinstalling Microsoft office, dropbox. my back up program, and a few other third-party apps. etc.

Any thoughts on that?

Aug 14, 2020 12:46 AM in response to mearlus

One other similarity between you and I is that I migrated to my iMac from a MacBook Pro that I purchased in 2014. One of the reasons that I’m considering wiping it and doing a fresh install of the operating system is because I’ve obviously got a lot of junk files in there from way back to 2014. Maybe there’s some thing old in there causing a problem in the new operating system environment?

Sep 5, 2020 7:06 AM in response to Polish Phantom

I'm not a computer expert...but my impression is that this is some kind of MALWARE. I'm speaking of that window that starts out "accountsd". I say that because:

1) "accountsd"? sounds fishy

2) selecting "OK" simply causes the window to "shake" (as in...I need an input)

3) selecting "cancel" causes the window to immediately reappear

4) the "help icon" on that window produces no results.

Sep 5, 2020 7:29 AM in response to Polish Phantom

I called apple support. The gent seemed aware of at least the generic issue. Here's what he had me do:

FINDER/GO/LIBRARIES: send all to trash

/CACHE: send all to trash

/LAUNCH AGENTS/SAVED APP STATE: send all to trash

/APPLICATIONS/APPLICATION SUPPORT: he looked thru them all, saw several he said are "known problems", I didn't write down the full name but it included "Advanced Mac cleaner", "AMC", MacKeeper ..."

DON'T Empty trash yet.

SHUTDOWN....on restart, then empty trash.

He also suggested a good malware app: "Malwarebytes"...suggested I try the FREE DOWNLOAD and see what I think.

MAC OS Catalina Crashes Every Day: "Accountsd wants to use the login keychain" "this mac can't connect to icloud because of a problem with"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.